2015 Winter Trail Conditions

Well for all my bravado yesterday I did not get a chance to ride. I had major driveway work to do. Maybe tonight

Anyone know if the main trails in Shubie have been plowed yet? Might go for a spin there tonight.

was in there on wed, some trails are open, around the locks, the dog walk loop and a couple of short connectors. Most everything else is a mess. Best bet is snow shoes.

If more trails open up give a shout, would like to get a run in.

Whatā€™s it looking like in Halifax now?

Tons of snow up here but Iā€™ve been snowshoeing at Irishmanā€™s Rd for 3 days in a row. Itā€™s getting well packed down to the point that we might try biking it this week.

1 Like

I donā€™t think anything is rideable yet, even Shubie. Too much snow.

Sounds like we got a whollop. I wonder if wrandees will be good by Tuesday? I seen some folkes are stomping it today.

Iā€™m flying back home tomorrow so I should be good to go Tuesday.

If my back yard is any indication ( which it very well may mot be) anywhere that was remotely packed down is now very solid to stand on and likely decent for biking. I would definitely be interested in trying Wrandees tomorrow.

@Adam and I tried Irishmanā€™s Rd this morning and I was hopeful that the large volume of snowshoe activity would have the trails packed enough to ride but it was just too soft. We need a wet snow or a day above freezing to get it solid enough. Looks like Iā€™ll be sticking to the xc skis for a while.

Wrandees is the same. The snow is not wet and heavy enough to pack down properly.

It sucks that the conditions have been so crappy so far this year.

Is it safe to assume that a good chunk of Shubie Park is plowed good enough to ride?

Shubie was pretty plowed when I went for a short ride on Saturday. i didnā€™t get to ride much, as the trail from Mic Mac Mall was loose and unrideable. Too bad I was stubborn enough to push my bike the 2 km there and back for a quick ride.

Looks like Wednesdayā€™s weather could bring us some firmer snow conditions for later in the week, warm temps some wet snow and rain, then back to freezing. Of course this weekā€™s coming snow will have to get tamped down first.

I was at Shubie last night. I left from Mic Mac Mall at 6:50. That part of the trail had been scraped recently and it was like white asphalt. I stayed on the scraped trail and came out along the highway and back in for the dog walking trail. Totally rideable with no studs. Where the trail was tramped but not scraped you could ride as long as you kept your wheels inside a 10" wide track. Iā€™ll give it 9/10.

Hoping for a couple of cm of snow today to make it even better for ride tonight and tomorrow.

2 Likes

Fyiā€¦ Wrandees looks pretty sweet today. Tomorrow it will be burried again. So get it in!

The pipeline was a blast today. Flowy and packed well by dog walkers.

The red line was good at the start but was churned up about 1k in.

Lets hope tonights storm can be pack down into some sweet single track.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of stomping the pipeline at 3shā€¦ any interest?

1 Like

40+cm of powder hereā€¦Iā€™m thinking of snowshoeing to the end of my driveway to shovelā€¦any interest?

1 Like

Any info on Spider or Subie?

Whatā€™s rideable? Preferably on the Halifax side of the harbourā€¦ Anything fit to ride?