2016 Winter Trail Conditions

Here’s one on the side of no studs.

I’m running 27.5 x 2.4 Geax Goma. Tubeless at 20psi, No studs. I just put a fresh set on a couple of weeks before Christmas so I have good tread

You have to be aware of ice but for the most part I ride exactly the same set up in the winter as I do the summer except I usually run 24-25 psi when the trails are dry
Shiny ice = bad
Bumpy ice = sorta grippy = good

That’ll be fine in most situations, but when Wrandees gets totally tramped down and turns into a bobsled track after a rain/freeze cycle, you’re not going to have any fun at all.

They’re a ridiculous expense for the number of times you need them, but when you need them, you’ll regret not having them!

Agreed. You’ll only need studs a handful of times, but being able to ride an icy flow or across a frozen lake is some of the best riding out there. Well worth the cost IMO.

I’ve never seen anyone without studs, who comes on a seriously icy winter ride not show up with studs for the next ride.

Studs may very well be the best thing ever but IMO we are nowhere near needing studs yet

I rode at Second Lake last night. If I didn’t have studs, I would have been a lot slower. Maybe I would have been okay without them, but I felt a lot more confident with them. The trails there are in great shape.

@Rolls @gtrguy thanks a lot for the information guys and others! Appreciate the help

Dudes, this forum is way too civil. We need an all out flame war on studs vs no studs! :smiley:

2 Likes

Studs are for “woosies

2 Likes

I rode nearly every clear trail in Wrandees today. At least a third of it is icy as hell. Tons of fun. Better with studs.

I have retired my 26" ride so I no longer have a use for these studded tires. I made them myself and never got around to mounting them

Very Mad Max!

1 Like

Does anyone know if you can ride anywhere? I suspect Spider, Fight and Whopper are no where near trampled enough (or at all) but I would settle for Shubie if it was somewhat plowed/beaten down

Sometimes I just like to pedal. The snow makes it all the more fun/hard/fun

1 Like

I can confirm that Shubie is plowed if any one is interested

1 Like

Snowshoed Wrandees from Cowie Hill Road down to the other end. At the dogwalkers parking lot there was a very small section that would be ridable (for a non fatbike)–maybe a 1/2 - 1 km section down along the lake. Stream climb is still messy and wet although for some reason it still had the most walking snowshoeing traffic. Beautiful out there though.

2 Likes

It isn’t ripping Wrandees, whipping Whopper or even fighting Fight Trail but Shubie Park is spectacular right now. I’ll definitely hit it up again tonight before it gets all covered over again tomorrow

3 Likes

Update: went back out to wrandees this morning (sat) and conditions are much better. Lots of traffic has packed things down very well and frozen a lot of spots. You could easily ride almost to the big bridge without issue and a fat bike could probably go almost to Cowie Hill Rd. Snow and rain is falling though so by time you read this conditions will most likely have changed…

Anyone planning on stomping some trails tomorrow?

Our family is heading to Quick Exit to stomp Wrandees in an hour or so.

I’ll keep an eye out for you, @brightwhite. I’m taking my wife, daughter and dog in for a short stomp too. Later, I’ll get a bigger stomp in for myself, though.

1 Like