2017/18 Winter Trail Conditions

Checked out the Gorge in the valley and there is sufficient snow on top of the ice that I believe it’s doable for the most part without studs.

1 Like

Shubie Park was plowed with some major glare ice…fine with studs. Rode out around the lake and it was nasty boot-bombed icy shit.

The secret single track is fattastic. The canal trails are icy studs a most. The bigger tires smooth out the boot bombs. If you got big tires hit up shubie tomorrow morning

Just rode a bit of Whopper. It’s ok, but not as good as it could be due to hiker and runner traffic ruining it when soft.

• Da Minion is bootbombed and frozen and not particularly enjoyable even with studs
  • Fire road to Flipside is also bootbombed (how the fuck?) and slippery. Doable though.
  • I was the first fat bike into Flipside in a while. It’s seen a bit less foot traffic than Da Minion so it had less ice, but a lot more snow. There are some very tricky icy patches, especially on a couple of climbs. I rode this both ways because the fireroad looked gross and I wanted to pack it down a bit more. It’s quite fun.
  • Scotch was stomped with snowshoes, and then froze, making it slightly better than DM, but not as good as Flipside. Still, mostly fun.
4 Likes

Went to Spider Lake. Fell off, walked, fell over. Realised why you need studs. Walked back 350m to the car & now online looking at studded tyres

7 Likes

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro’s are good tires for skinny tires. (I have the 2.35" on my 26er. 361 studs total)

2 Likes

+1 for the Schwalbe ice spikers. Bike Discount usually has the best price.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/search?q=Schwalbe+ice

1 Like

Snowshoed Irishman’s again. Snow over crusty ice pretty much everywhere. Seemed like it was fat-bikable. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Winter here is like a box of chocolates…

2 Likes

Anyone been out today?

Trying to decide if I should play it safe and ride my skinny studded tires but possibly prematurely dull my fresh studs (screws) on exposed rocks, or ride my non-studded fatty.

Just ride!
:smiley:

How’s MSP? Might head there today before the rain.

Icy! There is quite a bit of bare ground but also plenty of ice in sections, usually covering most or all of the width of the trail.

1 Like

Thanks…Might try somewhere else since I don’t have studs.

Macdonald Park was probably 80% or maybe even 90% bare, but the 10-20% that had ice on it was in some places the whole width of the trail. It’s doable if you don’t mind walking a few sections here and there. Big frozen puddle just past the overpasses by the railway tracks, and in the swamp by the big hill - Other than that, singletrack by the subdivision was pretty good. The singletrack down by the pump track was almost bare.

1 Like

Rode dominion, flip side, lake loop, green mile, suzie q and :tumbler_glass:. All have ice on it. -studs only or risk RUbber Side Up.

2 Likes

Anyone ridden fight lately?

Should be quite rideable, if you don’t mind some ice where all the usual wet spots are normally at.

Daminion/flipside/farside is late spring roulette conditions. Alternating snow-frozen dirt-ruttable wet dirt/mud-ice.

1 Like

It was too good of a day at fight, besides couple of smaller and 3 bigger 4-8" diameter toppled trees at secret and lake loop, really need chainsaws, manage to clear like a dozen of smaller trees. Nevertheless the beavers been busy that it made a makeshift bridge lake crossing. Mostly off camber ice on usuall spots , studs are a must and due mind the soft spots and not to scratch the granites.

Heading to spider at 9.