2018/19 Winter Trail Conditions

Just rode West Pine and Norawarren. Lots of ice and hero dirt, no snow.
Yesterday I was in Whopper, lots of ice and hard crunchy snow. Probably able to ride on top of the snow on a fat bike. Studs required in both locations.

7 Likes

Planning on riding Nine Mile this afternoon. If anyone has a trail report from this morning, from any trail, but Nine Mile especially, please post.

1 Like

Rode at Fight this morning. All granite/hero dirt with some really icy spots. I would highly recommend studs, although we still had fun without them.

2 Likes

I still have no studs, they don’t arrive until Monday. Anywhere have snow? Truro, valley, anywhere???

Vic park looks pretty snowy (and groomed) from pics I saw on IG.

1 Like

INine Mile was snow over ice. Packed and grippy in some places, just a dusting of snow on ice and slick in others. Good studded tire riding. Also followed Old Comeau Rd. doubletrack from top of the big hill to the trail crossing. Puddles all frozen and good riding. In between the puddles snow a little deeper and not packed - bit harder on non-fat (skim?) tires, but I have a trail blazed so next rider will have an easier time. Didn’t do upper part of doubletrack to the pond. The parking lot is quite icy. You may need to take a run at it to get in and park on the side.

2 Likes

Norawarren/west pine was quite a bit more bare than I anticipated, however still lots of ice patches-studs highly recommended. Saw some people skating on the ice too!

1 Like

Beautiful morning at NoraWarren/West Pine. Deluxe conditions- no snow, just frozen dirt and ice sections.

Get out today if you can!

3 Likes

Victoria park in Truro is very good right now with a couple of inches of powder snow and defined single track base trail from the upper parking lot. Just follow the tracks and you’ll have a great ride

6 Likes

HRM lakes are frozen and fast… get yer studs on!

Looks like it’s only going to get thicker this week but it’s always good to check before you go out:

5 Likes

Victoria Park riding is mint. Looks like a ride coming together for Sunday 10am. Last week we had 16 riders. Will post a comfirmed start time and location on Saturday.

4 Likes

Anyone ridden at Gore/Empire lately?

A buddy of mine rode it Sunday. Conditions are likely the same now. This was his Trail Report:
Gore is amazing.
Rode loops on the front section.
Hill Top
Slick Rock
Bunny Run
Original Six
AC DC
Recharge
Double D

Likely rode with studs.

3 Likes

Fight was awesome yesterday, there wasn’t too much ice and what ice there was was kind of pebbly so it was quite grippy even with my crappy studded tires.
A few hills on the flat lake loop were covered top to bottom slick wet ice from little springs or something so be careful.

2 Likes

Nine Mile River is excellent today! Studs a necessity- there are enough icy sections that no studs would probably suck. Overall a mix of packed snow, snow over rough ice and bare ice sections. Very smooth overall, highly recommend riding it today.

Scouted the lake end of Hemlock Cathedral a half I’m or so but the snow was just a little too sinky with 2.35 width tires. Probably good on a plus or fatbike.

1 Like

Sunday’s ride at Victoria Park is cancelled due to incoming storm.

McDonald Sports Park had sections that were easily passable without studs, but you’ll want studs to be able to get to those sections. Watch out on the double-track hills, lots of ice.

Icy sections at 9 mile river are now snow-covered and pretty slippery even with studs on my skinny 2.35 tires. Other sections very rideable but I’m sure that’s going to be over with in a few hours once the rain hits.

2 Likes

Just rode Whopper. Trails are a mix of frozen ground and ice patches. Fire road and power line are mostly ice with a couple of spots of open water. Studs recommended.

1 Like

Thanks, Nigel!