Any Advice For A Beginner?

Hey People! I’m a 13 year old kid who is kind of just getting into mtb, I’m wondering if anyone out there has any tips for me. Today I went out and bought a Rocky Mountain Flow used and I want to start riding. I am interested in weekly rides but I don’t know how old you have to be and my parents don’t have a truck or bike rack so the trails I ride would have to be close to Herring Cove (Halifax). So yeah, I just wanted to join a community of Mountain Bikers and ride more. Thanks- Brody

1 Like

Welcome @brodymtb!

Lucky for you, Macintosh Run trail system is nearby. The beginner loops are Norrawarren and the Divide. These have different trail entrances.

You can find them on trailforks.

Welcome! For our group rides, under 16 you would need an adult with you.

Most trails around Halifax are quite challenging with all of the rocks and roots, but the beginner-friendly Norawarren and Divide trails Jeff mentioned are two of the best places to ease into it and hone your skills.

In case you don’t use trailforks, the trail heads are here:

Norawarren Trail

Fight Trail - Divide

2 Likes

ok Thanks, i’ve ridden the norawarren plenty of times and i have lots of fun. i will try and see if i can find an adult who can take me to the group rides

2 Likes

Hey, Brody.

Awesome to hear you’re getting pumped about mountain biking. My top advice -

• ALWAYS wear a helmet
  • Always wear gloves - they will add cushion and save your hands in case of a crash
  • I wear full knee/shin pads for most rides, although they seem to be out of fashion - knee pads seem to be in. If I’m dirt jumping, pump tracking, or riding knarly trail, I wear elbow pads as well. Armour turns most crashes into non-events. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going, rather than rolling around on the ground trying to make the pain go down. This can be helpful especially as a newbie, because you WILL crash - crashing is part of mountain biking.
  • It’s all about progress - Little by little improvements in skills. Trying to do too much too soon leads to big crashes and major injuries.
  • If you can get permission and a ride, participate in Trailflow Outdoor Adventures’ Skills clinics later this spring.
3 Likes

I would also add the short track race series Tuesday evenings put on by Cyclesmith in seaview park is good fun with a lot of kids your age to find some riding buddies.
Also looks like rideeast.ca is doing an 8 week progressive MTB clinics for 12-15 yr olds starting in May-check Facebook page for details.
Transportation for a 13 yr old to find trails can be tricky but not impossible-definitely try to bike to wherever you feel safe, most busses have bike racks on the front. Also not sure what kind of car your parents have- but you can often find reasonably priced trunk racks on kijiji. Lastly, it’s inconvenient, but you can fit your bike into some pretty small spaces into a car if you take off both wheels and remove the seat post-just use an old towel or blanket to protect from grease.

4 Likes

ok thank you guys, i will definitely check out that skills clinic and i’m searching for a bike rack