Bear Necessities on the Trail

I’ve encountered a little wildlife on the trails before, including a couple of porcupines last Friday, but nothing like this!

http://twentytwowords.com/a-helmet-cam-caught-a-bear-terrifyingly-charging-mountain-bikers

Encountered a couple rabbits on the trail last night… They had a bloodthirsty look in their eyes…

5 Likes

Listen to what I’m spillin’, It’s flowin’ and runny
I ain’t trying to be funny
I’m right on the money
Like Flava Flav with all the hood rat hunnies
Don’t be messin’ wit’ no badass bunnies

:punch:
:hand_splayed:
:microphone:

2 Likes

Seen this on facebook yesterday.This reminds me of my encounter at skull at summer 2015. Boy this bring me back the chills and that awful pounding of heartbeat.

2 Likes

I’ve been face to face with black bears a couple times riding in Whistler (less than 10 feet between us) they are usually just as scared of us as we are of them. The most scared I ever was of a bear was onetime riding with a big group and seeing a cub up a tree with no sign of momma bear. We all quietly turned our asses around and got outa there.

1 Like

While riding at Keji onetime, I encountered a cub who climbed a tree in front of me, which meant that the mother was likely nearby, so we bolted back the other way and nearly got a speeding ticket from the park ranger.

1 Like

I lived in Northern BC for years and like Slider had many encounters. We considered the black bears more of a nuisance than the grizzlies, who were very shy. Usually you would only view the arse end of them as they bolted. I came to expect, and hope, for that behavior. I’ve run into three bears here in N.S. I had one stop in the middle of the road going to Keji Seaside and give me a good stare down until I hit my frame with my handpump, it bolted after that. Still the uncertainty of these moments are thrilling at best and could be really bad if handled wrong. I ride alone most of the time. I’m quiet and quick and on their turf.

2 Likes

I encountered a bear while riding at Keji too. It was already running away by the time I saw it. Not quite as interesting as the short stare-down I had with a bull moose on the Jimmys Round Top trail a few years ago.

1 Like

I would be way more scared coming face to face with a moose than a bear. I have seen what they can to to a car.

Done that and never want to do it again…

1 Like

Not sure what to call then when in a group but I counted 7 deer at a trail in Sussex NB Monday morning.

2 Likes