Councillor calls for mountain bike strategy

Hey you are keeping staff employed and councillors receiving stipends. It’s good for the economy :wink:

1 Like

BNS’s response to Mancini’s motion…

Bicycle Nova Scotia (BNS) applauds Coun. Tony Mancini’s call for a mountain bike strategy for Halifax. Mountain biking is the fastest-growing youth sport in North America, and we’re very excited at the possibility that Halifax will take leadership to help grow the sport here.

Most mountain bike trails are built by community associations such as the McIntosh Run Watershed Association. This year, BNS entered into a partnership with the Waverley Amateur Athletic Association to build a competition-level mountain bike trail system and youth development centre in Waverley. This exciting partnership includes engagement of political representatives from all levels of government, the provincial Department of Natural Resources and community groups and businesses.

Nova Scotia athletes excel at the national and international level. At the 2017 Canada Games, Team Nova Scotia brought home a silver medal in mountain biking. This was the first medal won by a Nova Scotian female athlete in cycling! Our athletes also took silver at the Canadian National Mountain Bike Championships, and they are a familiar sight on winners’ podiums at races worldwide. At home, Kentville was selected by Cycling Canada to host a Canada Cup series mountain bike race in 2018. This event will be held on Kentville’s community-built mountain bike trail system.

A mountain bike strategy for Halifax will be a huge boost to the sport. BNS has worked alongside city staff and council for over 40 years to make cycling safe, fun and accessible in Halifax. We look forward to the addition of mountain biking to the growing list of reasons why Halifax is a great place to live, work and play.

lola doucet & Susanna Fuller, co-presidents, BNS board of directors

3 Likes

“This year, BNS entered into a partnership with the Waverley Amateur Athletic Association to build a competition-level mountain bike trail system and youth development centre in Waverley”

Wheres this at?

First I heard of it too.

Say what? Sounds interesting…

The Waverley Amateur Athletic Association (WAAA) is the group who manages the McDonald Sports Park in Waverley. Perhaps the park will be getting some ‘proper’ single track in the next few years.

http://www.mcdonaldsportspark.com/contact.html#waaa

4 Likes

Or, they figure the double track is enough to train…

1 Like

Would be awesome to see though.

3 Likes

Ah. I was hoping it wasnt the sports park they were referring to. Far stretch to call that mtn biking. But maybe they are referring to future plans for it… I hope

Perhaps @elleDEE could elaborate?

1 Like

If you’re going to throw that into your first paragraph I’d like to see a source cited. Not to be a buzzkill but that kinda BS kinda throws everything else that comes out of BNS into question.

Are you stirring up every pile of on the farm? lol.

We all know mountain biking is a sport that is growing in some way or other and that even when growth is static it is beneficial for all involved.

I groan at the stats too… i"m skeptical… I groan at all stats. It is hard to make the case for MTB with real stats to be honest,

What angle do you suggest, @tossedsalad? We are all trying just to move the ball forward. I know you understand this.

Really, screw this “growing” BS… Mountain biking is working for me and my family as a lifestyle, so hell yes.

But if only we had a place to ride… that was appropriate, safe and fun.

6 Likes

Amen, but @tossedsalad has a point that bicycle advocacy groups can’t afford to leave themselves open to criticism on minor factual errors. We don’t need to hand our many critics free ammunition.

1 Like

no ‘angle’, just don’t make shit up, sheesh.

I think people are reading far too much into what I am simply pointing out. I’m hardly holding mtb back or anything with this.

We are getting what we have been crying for since we all started riding. Whatever it takes to make it happen is fine by me

Couldn’t have said that more perfectly myself @JeffV.

Uh, yeah. Where’s the “No Shit” button?

All I did was question the inclusion of a statement that was obviously pulled out of someone’s ass.

Of course I support the councilor and the creation of mtb trails and blah blah blah. Holy fuck people.

I wasn’t directing anything at you @tossedsalad I was just vocalizing my joy over this happening

1 Like

Can you cite the reference that someone pulled a statement out of their ass… seems like conjecture to me…

Also, as another keen observation, fuck isn’t Holy… just sayin’