ECMTB Weekly Ride - 15 Jan 2019

Let’s ride 9 Mile River this week.

Where: 9 Mile River
When: 7pm
Difficulty: Intermediate
Not much for technical features but relatively fast pace on ice and slippery boardwalks.

Notes: Requires lights, dress warmly, studs recommended.

• Yes, see you there!
  • No, wish I could.
  • Maybe, I’ll let you know.

0 voters

If you plan to attend, please indicate above that you are going and ensure your profile has the Member Name and Emergency Contact fields filled in.

It is every rider’s responsibility to know their own abilities, make smart decisions and ride safely. As a community ride we will ensure you are not left behind and as a group we know we are safer when we have others with us.

Please pay attention to the trail difficulty posted above.

From Rockhopper’s conditions report:

Not sure I’ll make it - got something else on, but make sure to try out the doubletrack.

How did the ride go? How were conditions? Any trail issues that ought to be sorted out?

The ride was a blast. About 50/50 hard packed snow and ice, but with studs it wasn’t an issue. The lake is solid so that was fun to ride on. And Comeau Rd was a nice addition to the usual route. There was a short section of doubletrack that had several downed trees, but other than that it was great.

Two things, coming back From the lake there is a tree down right along the edge of the trail that is pointing back up the trail right at head height. Comes up on you quickly at night. Second, So that new bridge? Those railings are right at bar height. Why are they there?

Good time of the year to ride nine mile the bridges were filled in with snow and felt safer with no gaps or broken planks to worry about. As well we were able to ride what normally would be swampy wetness creating new loops and options.
Big thanks to rolls for lending me his spare light so I could get the ride in, fun times.

Glad you had a good ride. I’m almost thinking we shouldn’t drain the doubletrack puddles, because they’re so much fun to ride in the winter.

@darkmyth, do you remember where the downed tree is? Is it on the doubletrack, or the main trail? I’ll probably head out to Nine Mile on the weekend and look for the downed trees, flag them, and ask some chainsawyers to take care of them.

The main reason for rebuilding that bridge (technically boardwalk) before the others (and there are many I would like to see rebuilt) was that DNR advised that this particular boardwalk was high enough above the ground that it should have handrails. Trailflow rebuilt the boardwalk so that the posts supporting the handrails are actually angled outwards to increase the room for handlebars.