ECMTB Weekly Ride - 19 Feb 2019

We’re going for 9 Mile River in the hope that the boot bombed ice does not extend too far.

Any day on a bike is a good day indeed.

Where: Nine Mile River
When: 7pm
Difficulty: Technical… its all ice.

Notes: requires lights, dress warmly, studs required.

• Yes, see you there!
  • No, wish I could.
  • Maybe, I’ll let you know.

0 voters

If you plan to attend, please indicate above that you are going and ensure your profile has the Member Name and Emergency Contact fields filled in.

It is every rider’s responsibility to know their own abilities, make smart decisions and ride safely. As a community ride we will ensure you are not left behind and as a group we know we are safer when we have others with us.

Please pay attention to the trail difficulty posted above.

Running a bit late but on the way. Don’t wait I’ll try to catch up.

@gtrguy and I never found you guys. We went up the doubletrack to the lake, back on the main trail to the intersection and back out on the doubletrack. The doubletrack ice was quite slick. It must have melted during the day to make it super smooth and then froze.

I had a pretty funny crash through the ice on the upper section of doubletrack. There’s a puddle that has always had open water when I’ve been through before, and there’s a line on solid ground to the side. The puddle was frozen last night so I decided to ride it… and broke through my front wheel into about a foot and a half of water, endoing into the water. My feet were intially dry, but putting my feet down into deep mud to try to stand up soaked my shoes, everything from the knees down, and my whole front from top to bottom.

Ah shitty, must have been pretty chilly after that. We just did the main trail straight in and out and then did a small double track loop on our way out. Saw your cars when we came out but we were too cold to go back in for more.

I wasn’t feeling the cold, except for my feet. They were pretty cold by the time we got back to the car.

Tis the season, I guess. My front wheel also went through some ice, didn’t Endo but put my foot down about shin-deep in water. This was down by Lake Major with @Cheshiremark tonight. My foot was pretty damn cold and painful by the time I got home! Couldn’t even get my wet foot out in the car, as my socks were folded over the boot to keep snow out and has frozen into place.

Good times, though! An otherwise enjoyable ride with some sketchy icy bits.

2 Likes