Thanksgiving Build & Ride

It’s Thanksgiving weekend! I’m thankful for the amazing friends I’ve made through mountain biking, the great crew that organize regular rides, the strangers on the trail who check up on each other, a healthy body that allows me to get out to ride, and lastly for the trails themselves. Not many realize how much effort goes into trail-building, but it’s incredibly rewarding to see trails transform before your eyes.

To support the efforts of the MRWA and the ongoing Fight Trail improvements, I propose a combination dig and ride on Sunday. I’m going to check with MRWA to see if there’s a section we can work on. Details to follow, but posting this to gauge interest.

Where: Fight Trail, Alabaster Way trailhead
When: Sunday, October 8. 9:30am dig, 2pm ride.
Difficulty: Intermediate to Advanced

Notes: Bring water, work gloves, sturdy footwear, and clothes that can get dirty for the dig portion, your regular bike stuff for the ride portion. Supposed to be warm and humid, so will probably visit Lake Loop for a swim to cool down.

• Going, see you there!
  • Wish I could, maybe next time.
  • Maybe, I’ll let you know.

0 voters

This is not an official ECMTB ride.

1 Like

Awesome idea! I’ll be out of town, otherwise I’d totally be there. Have fun!

1 Like

Also just wanted to point out that they’ve got two official build days scheduled already. You could always tie it in with one of those. They’re tackling that low lying section on the attic that I know is going to be a lot of work.

From the email list:

Hello MRWA Volunteers!
This weekend we will be working on a major mucky stretch of “The Attic”, an existing trail that has been formalized with a License Agreement between MRWA and HRM. Our work schedule this weekend is Saturday 8:30 - 12:30 and Monday 8:30 - 12:30.

We’ll meet at the cul-de-sac at the end of Alabaster Way in the Governor’s Brook subdivision in Spryfield (access from Drysdale Road) and walk in together from there (20 minutes). Wear sturdy shoes and work gloves and bring water.

You don’t need to commit to the full session - join us when you can for as long as you can. If you arrive late, here’s a map to our work location: https://www.trailforks.com/report/205327/
Take the new short access trail (left option from the cul-de-sac, starts with a bermed corner) to the Attic and follow the online map.

Also, if you want to join us but schedules never mesh, send us an email and we’ll try to line you up with a smaller work party, or something!

These trails are part of the McIntosh Run Trail System, an approved network of singletrack trails for non-motorized recreation on public land between Spryfield and Herring Cove.

Happy trails!
MRWA Trails Committee

2 Likes

Great idea @IanM_MTB.

Yep, two other builds scheduled this weekend, and I encourage anyone to take in one or more. This is specifically for those who can’t make those builds, like me. :wink: Also to enjoy the spoils of labour with a ride!

2 Likes

originally that idea had helped? ;)lol
I’ll bring beers.

1 Like

I’m meeting Lawrence at 9:30 to get tools and figure out a build plan. Anyone who wants in door the build can join in then. Work for a few hours, have lunch, then ride portion starts at 2pm. Meeting at the new trailhead in the cul de sac at the end of Alabaster Way. Join in for some or all of the build.

2 Likes