The Local Bike Shop Is Dying

Here’s the bottom line: to keep local retailers around, we’re going to have to forget about price and instead put a premium on experience. The question is: Will we?

If that’s the solution… not going to happen.

People care about price. That’s why Walmart is not struggling.

Really getting tired of hearing how it’s the consumer’s job to solve a retailer’s problem. Best trend lately after years of retailers bitching about mail order : retailers with online stores. Lolz.

3 Likes

Anyway, the local shops are doing just fine. This article is just glossing over a bunch of stuff for the sake of filling space, although the effect of the big three becoming a larger influence in the purchasing decisions by shop owners is probably worth noting.

I agree. Retailers have to adapt to the market to remain relevant.

I guess I’m unique where I just want to touch my products before buying them. My spouse on the other hand or ordering clothing(not bike related) online, complains about it, returns it. I’m in the market for gloves. Some XXL are too tight and some fit perfect. Why would I risk buying online?

There are tools for shops to help them catch the online sales like SmartEtailing used by Mikes Bike Shop and Cyclesmith. Pointy(not convinced this one works well) for redirecting google searches to shops who have it in stock, and companies like Thule trying to learn your inventory so they can point potential buyers to who has the item in stock. Price is another story.

2 Likes

I can not fault for shopping online. I do it for our shop. If I can get a better deal from an online retailer than I can from a distributor then why not? I will need to put my standard mark up on it when I re sell it but it will still be cheaper to the end user. I see the market for shops to use it as a way to move “dead” inventory, if no one knows you have it how do you sell it? but if you are looking for that 4 yr old repair part and you would like it before tomorrow it would be awesome if you could check your LBS online to see if they had what you needed when they are not necessarily open or willing to look. It is soon time for the LBS to change.

4 Likes

I shop local and I shop online. If it’s available and in stock locally I don’t mind paying a (reasonable) premium for convenience. I’ll also order stuff from a local shop if there’s not a huge price discrepancy. Cyclesmith is often my go to for Fox parts- I shoot Mark an email and he gets the stuff quick, no hassle and pricing is close enough. I’m sure it’s easy for him as I know exactly what I want and provide part numbers- I’m a very low maintenance customer.

I like saving money but I also want to support local when I can especially if I’ve received great service from a particular shop in the past. Sportwheels has been a standout in this regard so I try to spend money there too.

As far as I’m concerned great customer service is what shops need to focus on to continue to be successful. Not every experience I’ve had has been great and I know a couple of people who won’t set foot in particular stores any more after a couple of poor experiences. It can really make or break a customer. Some people can learn to give good service and some people just don’t have the right personality or attitude.

My two cents for what it’s worth.

5 Likes