Tire Air Seepage

Over the last week, I have been loosing 6-7lbs of air pressure in my rear tire. I generally ride at 23-24lbs but the tire finishes with 16-17lbs. Soft enough that I can feel the tire fold over if I lean over enough. I have a tubeless setup and I cannot detect any air leaking around the rim, valve stem or tire. I haven’t used any soapy water but I have very carefully checked for these leaks but everything appears to be normal. I haven’t topped up the fluid in 5-6 months so maybe that is the next step.

Any ideas?

Double check the valve core. I’m running into the same issue with my tubeless setup. I’ve got some latex in the core that’s preventing the valve from completely seating and air is escaping.

I don’t break the bead when rejuicing the tires. I remove the valve core and pour it in that way. I’ll be sure to make sure they are seated well and not over tightened. I could always replace the entire valve but that means breaking the bead and that is always a pain in the ass to get reseated again…at least with my semi crappy compressor

Soapy water in a spray bottle will tell you right away. better to do that than mess up your valve which may be just fine.

1 Like

I wonder why it never goes flat but seems to stop dropping pressure once it hits 18lbs or so?

Maybe it’s not enough pressure to push on the valve stem? Dunno.

If you haven’t put any sealant in for 5-6 months, there may be no liquid remaining. My experience with Stan’s fluid is that you’ll have nothing but fuzzy monsters in there after that amount of time. (I’m trying Orange Seal now, but I don’t know if it’s any better yet.)

I experienced what you are describing a few years ago after a similar amount of time. Taking the tire off and putting in new sealant solved the problem.

I agree, if its 5-6 months, top up your sealant. I foolishly omitted doing that before, punctured the tire and there wasnt any sealant left to plug the hole cause it was all dried up. While rubber has its’ natural properties, there is always air seepage and without a good amount of latex bathing the side walls to fill in the micro-pores, a higher air pressure would be more likely to allow air to seep out than a lower pressure (in your case 18lbs is the threshold, I would imagine the micro-pores are small enough to stop a noticeable amount from leaking)… For seating purposes at home, I found using a CO2 cartridge does the trick fairly well.

I removed the valve core and added a shot of Stans to both the rear and front. I tightened down the stem and valve core. I pumped up the tires to 24lbs and went for a ride. I measured both when I got home and they read 24lbs. Problem appears to be solved. I squeezed them at 6:20 this morning and they appear to have held the pressure.

Thanks for your help everyone. Pretend that your first beer this weekend was given to you by me :relaxed:

3 Likes