Tour of Elgin - 2018

From Facebook post:

An amazing event, this race is a huge fundraiser for the Elgin Eco Association (EEA). Members of the EEA are dedicated volunteers who work together to promote the natural beauty of the Elgin area through eco-tourism and organization of local events.

Mountain bike racers from all over the Maritime Provinces will be converging in Elgin, located 10 km north of Fundy National Park in the heart of the Southern Highlands of New Brunswick. These bikers will get an opportunity to race through the beautiful Elgin countryside in an event that is exciting, lots of fun and a celebration of both athletic ability and the beauty of this forest landscape!

Touted as being the toughest mountain bike race in Atlantic Canada, the Tour of Elgin has views along the course that are stunning with leaves peaking in full fall colour!

The well marked courses will cover all different types of surfaces with limited pavement:

double track (40%),
dirt roads (30%)
and lots of fast flowy single track (30%), including over 3 km’s of brand new trail.
And of course the climbs are awesome (some as high as 1100 ft) and frequent! Riders, you can expect course levels to challenge all levels of mountain bike skills: 120 Km, 80 Km, 40 Km, and 20 Km

All-terrain support vehicles will sweep racers providing first aid on site. Neutral feed stations will be located at approx. 20km, 60km and 100Km along the well marked course.

Supporters

Bike related activities will be going on throughout the day for friends and family. The Elgin Eco Park is a great place for kids to play on the playground equipment and try out the mini bike park course.

The community hosts a supper with local specialties for all of the racers and their families and friends at the Elgin W.I. Hall.

And throughout the day, homemade preserves and other local prizes will be drawn for at the Community Hall. Check-in frequently to see if your name has been picked, and grab your prize.

2 Likes

I really should try this this year.

1 Like

Do it. The vibe in the village is worth the gas money. It’s such a great event. I DNF’d the 120k last year at 80k. I’m planning on returning and doing the 80 this year.

The people are so friendly and the whole area comes out to put on the event. It.Is.Awesome.

2 Likes

Alright! Got room for three more people and bikes: who’s in?

1 Like

Do it! The meal at the end is worth the suffering. All home cooked by the locals. You might want to sign up for the breakfast too. A nice way to start the day. And chat with other racers. I would love to join you but I think I need another year or two to get back into endurance riding. I found it hard enough to pace myself when I was riding a lot 4 years ago when I competed. I hope you have good weather!

2 Likes

It’s no problem so long as you avoid going into the red.