1x10 is the ****

Blackspire makes a 30 tooth narrow-wide. Has the threads machined in the ring, so the smaller ring still works on a normal bolt circle with no chain interference. You are gonna love 1x. N/W ring with clutch type. Don’t look back.

You’ll be fine bignose. I’m running a 1x9 old school xt derailleur and I have plenty of gears, so a 1x10 would be great. And you get to lose the extra weight of the front derailleur which i’m sure is forefront in you mind…

The bike does look very nice. I love the clean look of a single ring front setup. I’m playing the wait-and-see on these new add-on 42t rings before jumping in. I don’t use my granny gear on my Reign in NS at all (other than when cleaning the big ring), but I’m reluctant to compromise either end of my gearing. I brought the bike to Squamish with me last fall for a couple of weeks of riding and was thankful to have the granny ring for the hour plus climbs. And for some of the fast descents I wouldn’t have wanted to give up any gearing on the top end either. I guess I could switch it over for those type of once-a-year trips but I want a system I don’t have to mess with. I’m really wanting to switch the Anthem over to a 1x setup for racing. Working the front shifter isn’t too difficult, but eliminating that distraction would allow more focus on the trail and the body.

Have you ridden XX1 yet? Seeing the same simplicity, yet with more range and an even better rear derailleur design, I can’t wait for the trickle-down to X9 level. Those add-on rings might be good if you need a bailout gear on the low end, but I think you ditch your 17T cog to make the swap, and that might make a bigger jump than you want halfway through the cassette. Maybe rent a bike once a year?

[quote=“JeffV”]

[quote=“ShawnS”]
I’m running 1x10 on my 2012 Reign. I would say a clutch derailler is a more important piece of the puzzle. I am running an E-13 LG1 guide, but I don’t have the bottom roller on. To tell the truth I don’t really think I need it at all. I just piced up a mrp taco only guide to replace the E-13 to protect the ring.[/quote]

Thanks, Shawn. This is good information. I ordered a 30T and 42T for wolftooth a couple of days ago, so hopefully I’ll have something to play with soon.

How did you mount the LG1 guide? My bb is press fit and there are no tabs for mounting. Is it a Reign X you have, maybe? If there is an adapter plate or something that would be awesome.

I see on chain reaction cycle the XT derailleur with the clutch is $82, so If I need to I can upgrade to that. (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-xt-m786-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod83162)[/quote]

Yes, sorry I do have a Reigh X, I must have missed the ‘x’ in my response. I did have to make an adapter place to get the e-13 guide on. In that year for some reason ISCG mounts didn’t line up properly with e-13 gear. IMO if I had a press fit and really wanted a guide, I would get something like this: chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e … -prod90476
or for more money: chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e … -prod61087
than just run a bashring. There is a company that did manufacture a ring with iscg mounts for press fit frames. I have no idea how well they worked but worth checking into. If you google your year frame and guides there is quite a bit of information about it. Also, you don’t have to go to XT, the SLX dyna sys. works excellent. Money isn’t an issue than go for the XT.