9 Mile River - Please don't ride there when it's wet

Looks like the ladies might have to relocate… going to be wet for a while.

Does crusher dust drain well in the first place? I often wondered this. As a youngun up in Wellington, everything we rode was shale. It was great. Hardly ever wet, drained quickly, almost like natural armouring. I know spots where a fella can load up truckloads of it. I might look into using it in the future.

Is there any fear of locals riding it with department store bikes that just don’t know better and are not in the bike community, per se? Maybe some signage? I noticed a lot of large skidmarks on the crusher dust the other week, and I was hoping a responsible and knowledged mtb’er didn’t do it. I imagine the local kids probably go there with their folks on their little wee bikes too. Maybe a trail ettiquite sign for bikers could help educate and put on a little guilt trip?
Even with all the effort put forth in the first section of that trail for drainage, that trail is still not suitable to ride without causing excessive damage. That being said, I expect the remainder of the trail will be in much wose condition. I don’t have a good feel for how much dry weather it will take before I’d go on it but I can say it won’t happen this weekend regardless of today’s weather. It’s really unfortunate. Looking at the trail when it’s dry seems like it would be able to handle some wet weather by all of the bridges, crowned trail, slight elevation, drainage features, but it’s not the case.

Many people will be aware by now that the Nova Scotia Mountain Bike Trails Association is working on developing a relationship with the groups responsible for the Nine Mile River Trail system. With any luck this will be one of the first major projects that we partner on in an effort to create legal mountain bike trails in a centralized location.

There’s been a lot of excitement about these new trails and therefore a lot of eagerness to ride them.

In the interest of ensuring that we don’t jeopardize our involvement with these trails I’d like to send out a gentle reminder to everyone that we need to avoid riding them when they’re wet. I’ve heard that there are easily damaged surfaces and areas that don’t drain well yet so I’m concerned that heavy traffic will negatively impact the trails if they are in a vulnerable state.

In the meantime, if anybody would like to get involved with the NSMTBTA’s initiative to develop mountain bike access and trails in this area, we need all the help we can get. Let me know if you’re not on our mailing list already and I’ll glad add you so you are kept up to date.

i was up at the trail system last night to see how the trail was after some rain. sue is correct there is a lot of water on the earthen trails. it is deep and the trail is soft and easily damaged we need to stay of the trails until they are dry or we are going to leave a negative picture of what bikes can do.

this is great news thnaks ot all that have made the partnership happen

and +1 to not damaging them

I was at the trail head today. The crusher dust at the very start of the trail was soaked. That’s where there are features intended to allow drainage! Frankly, I was surprised at that. Had to tackle some logging roads out by the airport instead.

Looks like the ladies might have to relocate… going to be wet for a while.

Does crusher dust drain well in the first place? I often wondered this. As a youngun up in Wellington, everything we rode was shale. It was great. Hardly ever wet, drained quickly, almost like natural armouring. I know spots where a fella can load up truckloads of it. I might look into using it in the future.

Is there any fear of locals riding it with department store bikes that just don’t know better and are not in the bike community, per se? Maybe some signage? I noticed a lot of large skidmarks on the crusher dust the other week, and I was hoping a responsible and knowledged mtb’er didn’t do it. I imagine the local kids probably go there with their folks on their little wee bikes too. Maybe a trail ettiquite sign for bikers could help educate and put on a little guilt trip?

Unfortunately we’re not in the position yet to be posting signage - we’re still in communications to see if it’s viable for us to become involved. Hopefully we can push the issue that we’re all for education - I’d love to see us develop something like a Trail Steward program somewhere down the road.