9 Mile River Trails

Would it be possible to put up a sign that says “no horses”? The worst part is when you come around a corner and drive through a big pile of horse shit. It wouldnt be so bad if they would carry a small shovel or something and throw it off to the side… but I guess it is kind of hard to tell when the horse craps when you are riding it.
I plan to start crapping on every trail I ride.

I plan to ride solo from now on.

We finally had the opportunity to check these trails out a couple of days ago. It was definitely a hoot, not technical at all, but very fast, flowy and a good cardio pump. I think it would be a great place to take newbies to get them hooked.

I did notice that horses have been using the trail and I also noticed a broken plank on one of the bridges. This worries me. As a former horse owner I can’t imagine riding a horse across wooden structures of that nature - a broken board could easily translate to a broken leg. The horse(s) also left tons of poop on the trail. Personally I don’t mind horse poop, but I bet a lot of people do. If this is meant to be a multi-user trail I wonder what the compromise should be in terms of equestrian use. Allowing them to go around the bridges creates a whole other trail maintenance dilemma.

I also have some concern that the trails are designed to allow cyclists to get up a great deal of speed very easily but it’s often hard to see any distance ahead, which means a cyclist - pedestrian collision is almost certain to happen at some time. This trail made me really wonder about the vailidity of multi-user trails.
Any thoughts?

I agree I had not noticed any signs of horse last week but those bridges were not built for them

I was never really a huge fan of the bridges because of their narrow twisty nature and the speeds you can get up to right before the bridges they are also very slick if even remotely damp.

I know the trials well now so I try and remeber to slow down but I think as the trials get mroe popular there will be an issue with collisions even cyclists on cyclist

There is a woods road that parallels the trail I don’t see the need to ride a horse on the single track.

As for the bridges I don’t like the design
if one board breaks there is an 8 foot hole instead of a
4 inch hole on a standard bridge.

The edge rail is a disaster waiting to happen if for some reason you need to bail out you are likely to crash.

On the line of sight issue the Provincial park trail guidelines have very clear sight lines. An example; the Cole Harbour Heritage trails have great sight lines that do not meet standards for bikes to use the trails.
I would say line of sight is an issue for 99% of trails I have rode.

Put a bear bell on your bike a keep your head up.

Yelling Yahoo in the fast sections works to.

The first loop should be a one way right to left.

How is the new trail cut this summer coming along?
I have not been there for a month or more, at that time the trail was rough cut, most of the bridges were built with the last two under construction.

These bridges are skinnier than the main trail bridges.

Makes a good loop to the pond.

It’s still pretty rough, quite a slog! It was nice and dry when we were in there but I personally will hold out for a little more flow before I ride that section again.

the new section is still a work in prgress… certisanly a good work out… lots for distinct ups and downws I found my self trying to ride on my rear wheel at times althought it’s a skill i lack i had fun trying

i have said right from the start that the bridges are unsafe and poorly designed for their intended use. as the trail is designated a multi use trail and there are sectons that will always have two way traffic due to the layout of the trail the bridges doe not allow for cyclist to meet or safely pass anyone coming in the opposite direction. it is going to be a matter of when not if before an accident occurs. i can’t even picture coming around a corner and running into a horse. on a side note dos anyone know if dwanye has talked to the trail group about the nsmtbt getting involved with the trails and if so what was the response? i remain very encouraged about the trail system and would like to see us get involved about issues such as this sooner rather than latter.

How do I get to this trail?

How do I get to this trail?
check out the trails section here

but a quick description take exit 7 and turn right

• go past the big stop and continue over the set of tracks just past shooters.

• at the top of the hill you will see a home hardware and a T style intersection turn left here

• continue past the enfield legion and over the over pass then veer Right

• You will pass some base ball fields shortly after turning right

• just past the ball fields look of old enfield road and make a right

• the trail is a few kilometers down old enfield road and on your right

you will see a graqvel parking lot with signage and an orange gate

the trail is a few kilometers down old enfield road and on
your right

not to be nitpicky as they would find it anyway but it’s on the
left…http://resource.pedaltrout.com/old_site_images/5ec3bb4781c8e43a51d3a1a948b98fc0.gif

the latest news from nine mile river is that the new section of trail now has all the bridges completed but remains much more raw in nature that the main trail. if you are looking for an old school ride turn off but if you enjoyed what you have been riding be warned it is a lot more tech. as well all trails are clear thru out with no dead fall, although some of the stuff that was cut back remains uncomfortable close to the edge of the trail. more importantly several of the planks used for the bridges are broken and could be a real wheel sucker if you don’t steer around them. caution on the bridges is highly recommended.

the latest news from nine mile river is that the new section of trail now has all the bridges completed but remains much more raw in nature that the main trail. if you are looking for an old school ride turn off but if you enjoyed what you have been riding be warned it is a lot more tech. as well all trails are clear thru out with no dead fall, although some of the stuff that was cut back remains uncomfortable close to the edge of the trail. more importantly several of the planks used for the bridges are broken and could be a real wheel sucker if you don’t steer around them. caution on the bridges is highly recommended.
I’ll have to check it out, rode it a few mnoths back with bpcc and it was a workout to say the least

These trails are a blast. Is there anyone in the area that plans on
riding these after supper on week nights throughout the fall? These
would be great for night riding.

I could be talked into it.

These trails are a blast. Is there anyone in the area that plans
on riding these after supper on week nights throughout the fall?
These would be great for night riding.

I was there last night & had a pretty fun ride. Crazy
temperature drop. I think it went from 10+ C to 4 from beginning
to end of the ride. Funny how it’s not noticed until you stop.
The new loop has progressed very nicely since early summer. I
think it will be a pretty sweet trail for winter rides as well.
I’m not good for short notice but if I have some advance intel or
if it’s a scheduled ride I can usually make it work.

I’d like to check this trail out sometime as it sounds fun.

These trails are a blast. Is there anyone in the area that plans on riding these after supper on week nights throughout the fall? These would be great for night riding.
I’m in the area and I love riding

Sweet. It would be cool to get a group ride going on a certain night every week. Make it easy for people to be able to plan to get out.

There are to bridges that have broken planks.