Anti-bike lane survey from spryfield business commission: giver a go

Spryfield Business Commission is trying to get some anti bike lane propaganda compiled ammunition against proposed safe cycling infrastructure in the neighbourhood. It would be awesome for the community to have protected bike lanes - it would also be sweet for those of us traveling in to ride McRun to have protected lanes to get us to the trails.

The survey is looking for a postal code, uncertain if they’re going to drop the answers from those who don’t live in the community or not, but safe to say that for many of us McRun feels like home and our postal code of real choice might be say: B3R 1X6 (Osprey trail head) or B3P 0C7 (Stoke Meter if you’re nostalgic) or B3P 0C5 (Clark Kent @ Drysdale) or B3P 1M5 (Clark Kent @ Hartlen Park). Some of our significant others might well argue that we do “live in the area”…

Anyway, if you’re interested: Herring Cove Road Improvements Survey

14 Likes

Completed and shared.

3 Likes

Done.
Interesting that they’re trying to restrict to residents- like, no one outside Spryfield spends $$ in Spryfield or has a stake in safe transpo in Spryfield??
Love the survey bias too, using words like ‘sacrifice’ to taint the tone :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Things like this survey really get me fired up. After my brain injury I didn’t drive for a year, I went everywhere on my bike. For many of the people we see riding on the side of the road in Spryfield a bicycle is likely their only means of transportation. They have a right to commute safely. Local businesses choosing to discriminate against these people because of their mode of transport is straight up bullshit. I’ll continue to ride in Spryfield, but no way in hell will I spend another dime there until they get adequate bike lanes.

7 Likes

Wtf, the Spryfield business association just can’t let it go. I was pissed years ago when my councillor took up their lame ass “cause” when they were going to put bike lanes in. I biked through there for ten years twice a day and would have liked to see that bike lane. Trying to remember my postal code…

3 Likes

What a low rent survey. Some summer student intern had to have come up with that one. Might rejoin the lieblin park FB group after a few beers tonight.

5 Likes

Is anyone up for a good old fashioned boycott? Here’s the list of the Spryfield Business Association member businesses Directory.

4 Likes

Just putting it out there this topic was posted by a soccer mum… :wink:

No standard issue minivan yet though so possibly still time for my opinions on safe streets to go to shit. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I’d say it’s also fair game for people to contact your/the local councillor and let them know how shitty the survey is and express concerns that the business commission is manipulating local residents.

4 Likes

I’ll pull the email addresses out of the directory tomorrow and make them available for anyone who wants to mass mail the member businesses. I don’t even live in Spryfield, but this is a crap initiative by the business association that will likely hurt cycling throughout the city of successful.

1 Like

I had my first ride down Herring Cove Road Friday after locking my Camelback with my keys and phone in my car at Osprey trailhead. Thankfully, I removed my helmet , water bottle, and gloves before I closed the door. Had a great ride that day and then “hit the road” to get my spare keys.
Just did the survey. I don’t think I can count on my councilman to help. Tried to vote him out.

2 Likes

Oops, sorry.

I’ll be sure to fill out this survey shortly. Ridiculous that it even exists.

Just so they don’t get lumped in with any other businesses in Spryfield that may be anti-bike, the new craft brewery Serpent Brewing is very much Pro-bike according to @Rolls. Apparently he used to mountain bike a lot back in the day and wants the place to be the go-to post ride spot.

3 Likes

Haha It’s all good! All in good fun. Too good of an open door to pass up! :wink:

That’s really sad their doing it… they obviously aren’t realizing that they have the main trail system in hrm in their back yard. Drawing countless people there. And the number of riders is increasing all the time with the sport growing more and more popular…

Wonder if it’s one very narcissistic member who is brainwashing other members because they have a grudge with cyclists because of one incident

1 Like

Boycotting every business listed is a bit extreme, no?

I’d wager not every business in that directory agrees with this initiative (or even knows about it).

As @Jetter mentioned Serpent Brewing is definitely pro-bike and Allano’s Filipino restaurant is owned by a fellow MTB’er. Other businesses have no doubt contributed or donated to MRWA over the years.

8 Likes

They may not support the initiative, but they can pressure the Business Association better than we can as individuals. At this stage a boycott may be on the extreme end, but reaching out to these businesses and letting them know how you feel may help spur change.

7 Likes

I used my own postcode but commented on coming into the suburb often and the issues with current traffic volumes coming into the city on the bi-hi and through the rotary. Can’t imagine how bad driving into the city from Herring Cove must be.

If I ever start working out at Woodside it’s going to be a shit show getting to work.

3 Likes

Also used my own postal code, noted that I drive that area often and would happily see bike lanes and bus lanes if it made it safer for all. Also emailed my councillor and included Patty Cuttell, councillor for that area.

2 Likes

According to google…

Patty Cuttell won her council seat last year by just 28 votes, narrowly beating Bruce Holland. Bruce is now the exec director of the Spryfield business commission. Patty (who coincidentally has a masters in urban planning) I’m sure would be quite interested to hear what Bruce has been up to in her district.

Email: pattydotcuttellathalifaxdotca

12 Likes