Be it resolved that whether or not Lance Armstrong is ever f

Btw: I got my schwag bag for winning the first debate. It was some socks and some stickers. I gotta say, the LG socks are some of the most comfy cycling socks I’ve put on my feet. Between them and Sombrio its a tough choice.

You have until April 1st to make your point. Drop the gloves and duke it out!

This one is gonna get interesting…

Yes he’s still a hero, cause he raised millions directly/indirectly against cancer, and they’re all guilty anyways.

the definition of hero -

a

man

of

distinguished

courage

or

ability,

admired

for

his

brave

deeds

and

noble

qualities.

a

person

who,

in

the

opinion

of

others,

has

heroic

qualities

or

has

performed

a

heroic

act

and

is

regarded

as

a

model

or

ideal:

still does not produce a clear picture as you are left to
determine what is heroic. if you take

cycling seperate and he is found guilty you could make an
arguement against. but when you

talk of lance and cycling you can not talk about his
achievements without cancer being part

of the conversation from his own personal battles and of course
what he has done since then.

i will leave the arguement against too the annal retentive
purest who would ignore what was

going on in the sport at that time. for me i will call him a
hero for all that he has done with

the fight against cancer and still continues to do
today.

Lance will never be found guilty of cheating in Court or by a cycling association, his lawyers are too good for that to occur. His doctors were also much better than those of other cyclists who were caught doping. In my estimation there is no way he could be trouncing other cyclists who were using performance enhancing substances while riding clean. I agree that everyone was doping at the time, Lance was just doing it better.

Will this hurt his cycling legacy? Probably not, most North Americans don’t care about cycling. They know that Lance won a big foreign race more often than anyone else. They probably wouldn’t know Merckx from Indurain, they aren’t Nascar drivers so why bother? Lance is a big name and he is a cyclist, but his legacy will be prolonged because of his efforts to fight Cancer.

In the end I think he could be regarded a “hero” because he has associated his name with a very worthwhile cause, this won’t be diminished if he is ever found guilty of cheating. I would prefer to categorize him as a survivor and a fund raiser rather than a hero. I’ll reserve the “hero” designation for the members of society such as firefighters who risk their lives to save the lives of others. His efforts as a bike racer are inspirational but I don’t know if bike racers can be classified as heroic in their line of work.

In the end, whether he was racing clean or not won’t matter, he was never a hero for his bike riding. Lance has contributed the most to society by raising awareness and funds for Cancer research. Whether people see him as a hero or not is up to them, but “it’s not about the bike”.

Lance is my hero.

He may be a hero in the fight against cancer but just think of how many yellow rubber bracelets will end up hanging out in landfills, strangling birds and small mammals, and blocking sewer drains worldwide. Not to mention all the rip-off bands for other causes and trends. Hero to the Cancer cause, yes, but environmentalists everywhere must curse his name!

Ha ha, good one, but check this out livestrong.com/article/15996 … ion-facts/

I’m betting on Henkman to win this one…great argument and not
much to add to what he sais…imho

I think its just a random draw , not a argument based “win” :slight_smile:

You are correct!

Congrats to all you fearless debaters. Our winner this round is Mixed Greens! Our next Louis Garneau Great Debate will be posted shortly. Get your typing fingers ready…

Awesome! Thanks!