Bicycle Orienteering

This event will involve finding 7 “controls” located on dirt roads and grassy trails and returning to the start within a four hour time limit. About 40 km of riding will be necessary to visit all the controls so a good plan will be necessary to finish in the allowed time. Each control will have a letter associated with it and a three digit numeric code (the code proves you were at the control). There is a point value given to each control depending on the difficulty and distance from the start/finish. Late finishers will forfeit all accumulated points. There may also be a little puzzle to solve before starting which will help separate competitors.

YOU WILL BE PROVIDED:

A map

Cue sheet

Scorecard

WHAT TO BRING:

Bike - any bike capable of being ridden on dirt/gravel roads

Bike helmet

Pencil

GPS - optional

Compass - optional

Water

Snacks

Friendly competitive spirit

Meet at the carpool parking lot at exit #3 highway 101 at 10:00 am Sunday 29 Sep. Lot is located about 100m NW of Irving. Please let me know if you plan to attend so I can have sufficient maps ready.

This sounds fun! I haven’t been out orienteering in years. I can’t make it this time but will keep an eye out for future events. I will say thou that getting a score of 0 for being late kinda takes a bit of the fun out of it. Maybe a penalty for late arrivals rather then a disqualification might be nice. Would make it more attractive for the general public.

Rally folks are known for being strict, its part of the game :slight_smile:

A Pedal Trout Poker Run would be an excellent idea. We used to have ecmtb poker runs back in the day and they were lots of fun

…sorry didn’t mean to hi-jack the thread…carry on

That’s right, time management and strategy are a big part of the game!