Clicking Fork!?

I have a RockShox Sektor fork and it suddenly has developed a clicking noise. It usually clicks once about halfway through the travel. I have also looked for loose bolts but I don’t think that’s the issue. Any input would be appreciated Thanks,Victor

Have you checked the headset?

2 Likes
  • Bar and stem
  • Headset bearing(s)
  • Steerer tube/fork crown

I’ve had both the bar/stem interface full of gunk and cause creaking/clicking, as well as a lower headset bearing go bad and cause a similar noise.

Rockshox did have an issue before with the steerer tube creaking in the crown. I don’t believe it would out right fail, but it certainly makes an irritating sound.

1 Like

I checked the headset and it seems fine. also if I engage the fork by pushing on the steerer it makes the noise so obviously its in the fork somewhere.

Sounds like a CSU (Crown Steerer Unit) issue, it is a common cause of clicking and creaking in forks. If you’re lucky you’re within a warranty period, but it can be hard to get warrantied none the less.

2 Likes

Ya I now am assuming the same but the fork is a 2014 model so I’m not sure how easy or at all possible of getting warranty.

2014…zero

1 Like

As @bent6543 says it could be a warn CSU (Crown Steerer Upper).

Put the fork upside down in a vice with the lowers pointing up. Grip the lowers and move them back and forth. Can you replicate the noise or feel it clicking? If you don’t have a vise, turn the bike upside down, take off the front wheel. Stand on the handlebars and try and move the lowers. If you can hear or feel it, it will likely be a worn CSU. Expensive to replace. I had the problem on my last bike. There is a lock tite fix that works for some. For some it does nothing. It worked perfectly for me. You have to make sure you get the right version of lock tite. I had to get it at Acklands Grainger in Burnside. Not hard to do. There is video on Youtube.

It is an annoying problem and I couldn’t stand the noise.

Is this a coil spring fork? Might be the spring binding/rubbing.

Or, yeah, the fork is wore out and pretty much forked and unsafe to ride. The above vise test is a good idea. I sent back soooo many bombers years ago because of this. Brings back the memories.