Clipless pedals, I provide the questions, you provide the answers!

I’ve had XT pedals one bike since 2017 and Look X-Track En-Rage on another since the beginning of 2020. They look pretty similar and perform equivalent, which is to say I don’t notice any difference and have had zero issues despite pounding them off of many, many rocks. If buying now, I’d choose the less expensive of those two options.

1 Like

Yeah, those multi release cleats an be pretty awful!

One difference is access to the bearings.
Look require a “special tool” which is essentially why I stopped using them when they required a very simple service.

Always run the SH-51 which should be the one way release. SH-56 are the multi release.
It was the first thing I checked.

I definitely thought the same thing. Different shoes (Giro Ventana and Shimano XC5) and brand new cleats still had the same issue with unclipping when trying to put down power. It was always the drive side pedal that gave me issues too. Visually they looked identical and there didn’t seem to be any obvious damage or defects.

I left the same SH-51 cleats that I had been riding with the XTs on the Ventanas and switched to Look pedals and have had no more issues.

I have an older pair of Shimano M520s that are well over 10 years old that have been perfect.

1 Like

Unlike everyone else here, I quite liked my Eggbeater pedals, still have a few in a box that I’d happily part with for free so you can try them. I’m riding flats for trail and can’t see myself going back to clipped in.

The brass cleats do wear, yes. That’s by design, to prevent the pedal itself from wearing. Much cheaper and easier to replace a cleat than a pedal.

I ran SPD’s before the Eggbeaters and didn’t care for them at all. (Caveat: this was around 2005!) I found I needed the tension at max to keep my feet in, but clipping in made me look like I was trying to jumpstart a Moto. :rofl:

Again, seems my experience was in the minority; but you’re welcome to the Eggbeaters if you want to give them a shot.

2 Likes

I used Shimano-complatible clipless for awhile, then went to Crank Brothers Mallets (version 1?). I liked the Mallets - I like a platform for the extra stability or in case I don’t want to clip in.

I liked the float of the Crank Brothers, and once I got used to them had no problem clipping in and out. You do need to stay on top of replacing cleats as they wear. Once they wear they get kind of dangerous as you can unclip at the wrong time.

What caused me to stop using the Mallets was wear of the clamping mechanism against the platform which caused the pedals to get difficult to clip in to. I think I had 2 sets of Mallets, and it happened with both. Apparently, there is or was a fix - installing spacers to prevent the clamp interfering with the platform. I never learned about the fix until today, or applied it. I gave up and went to Shimano about 10 years ago. I still have the pedals if anyone wants them. In fact, I think I have some Candies if anyone wants those too.

Have used Shimano PD-M647’s for more than 10 years. They’re intended as a downhill pedal, but I like the platform, so I’ve been using them on my trail bike. They’ve been pretty reliable.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/dxr-mx70/PD-M647.html

In terms of anxiety, I’m so used to the clip-in pedals now, that I have anxiety whenever I ride a bike with platform pedals. :slight_smile:

Whenever I do ride platform pedals on rough terrain my feet do sometimes come off. I’m sure I would get used to that if I rode them more, but I do like being connected to the bike now.

I did fall over a few times when I first started using clipless - usually forgetting to unclip, sometimes at stop signs. :slight_smile:

Now it’s pretty rare that I fail to unclip when needed, but it does happen on rare occasions - stall on a steep climb or get stopped by surprise on a root or rock usually. Trackstanding practice would help (not clipped in of course). There have been cases where I’ve stalled on an obstacle, but didn’t panic, stayed upright, and pedalled or hopped over it.

What about someone on tbe fence about going clipless who has had a ruptuted achilles tendon

Im nervous about goint clipless do to if there is increases risk of a ankle injury. My left calf is only about 65% strength and range of motion compared to the right

I wouldn’t mind trying them out, even if for comparison sake. Won’t know what I like more until I get a chance to try them!

1 Like

I’ve never heard of increased probability of an ankle injury from clipless. I’ve got a bunch of hardware in one of mine, and about 85% ROM and for biking and un-clipping there is no difference.

Wait… pedals require service??? I never do that. Maybe that’s why my pedal almost came apart on last night’s ride. (Cheap Nukeproof flat pedal on my fat bike – not one of pedals discussed here.)

3 Likes

I guess I’m the odd guy out on this one. I love my eggbeaters, but only with the zero-float cleats. I had SPDs…I think its far more about what you get used to. I go eggbeaters on my gravel bike and Candys on my MTB ( I like having a little platform). Depending who your local shop is, they might have something you can try out—worth asking.

1 Like

I’ve always used XTR’s but moved to a saint SPD and IMO best pedal for the job.
You can adjust the tension on them to have an easier get out on SPD pedals, some of the cleats you can purchase, have a degree or 2 of float (However they seem to loosen up after a month or so of use).

They are not an entry pedal price but I have had mine for about 4+ years now and have never had an issue with them at all, Just a service every now and then. I moved to these simply because I found it difficult on technical terrain getting that first pedal in and hitting that clip on the first time. There is a few other brand options for this style’ I’ve not tried these but the big take on any pedal like this is to be sure you get a cleat on both sides, there is purchase options for a cleat on one side and not the other. Those will prove to be frustrating for anyone.
IMO if you can get used to “Being One” with the bike you will not turn back, So much more control.

1 Like

Thanks for that Sheldon, that is exactly the type of note I wanted. They are pricey, but my price point was set before knowing details. It’s not a hard line, so should it be worth going to these, I won’t mind the price. I suppose in all fairness pedal cost is irrelevant because they’ll just move to the next bike anyway.

1 Like

I “learned how to clipless” on egg beaters a few years ago and wouldn’t have chosen any other style to learn on. In terms of durability i got the eggbeater 2 and had absolutely zero issues. Cleats do wear out but they’re much cheaper to replace than a whole pedal. When metal interfaces with metal something is going to wear out, it might as well be the cheaper component. I have since switched to a pair of mallet e pedals and love them. Will probably try some zero float cleats next go around too. I love how easy this style is to clip into, as it seems like you need to be less precise with your foot positioning compared to spd style, and only need to “roll” your cleat forward into the pedal. Just my two cents though

1 Like

Noted! I am going to pick up some egg beater style for comparison sake. I ended up going with the M530 pedals, have been dealing with COVID so haven’t gotten the chance to bolt them on and get to practicing with them. Soon I hope, but I don’t ride this time of year unless we get a freak warm day, so plenty of time. My body doesn’t handle cold well.

FWIW, I can’t remember the last time I bought cleats for Shimano pedals, what with being made out of steel and all. I don’t do a lot of walking in them though, so results may vary.

3 Likes