Commuter tires

I’ve been riding BIG knobbies a few times lately at not even high PSI, and it’s been comforting. Specially in the city. I have some BIG slicks I got off a cruiser. Might keep them for the next bike. 26ers. Hanks, I think they are called. I can deal with a mtb on the road. Cool factor.

So I finished off a 27 x 1 1/4 rim on the back of my commuter. One too many dings and tweaks. I try to keep them tight and straight, but the road is killer! I ride stairs and hop kerbs and stuff, but that’s planned mayhem, coming down light and all. But the potholes in this city are killer. I am soon just going to ride the lane like a motorcycle and stay out of the leaves gravel and holes with my skinny slicks. ANYWHO, my question is this; What size tires are people commuting on? I like to go real fast, but I hate flats/dinged rims. Thinking ahead for the next bike… Not much tire choice in my current size either.

700 or 26?

40mm or 1.5 inch width. But I like wider tires. I recently put some 26x2.00 Schwalbe Marathon Extremes on my touring rig. I love the confidence and versatility of them, but they may not be as fast as you want.

Cyclo cross tires maybe?

Well, I can zip along pretty well on a hard pumped fatty, but the bigger diameter of a big wheel makes it a little quicker. If I get a new mtb at some point, I might gear up the Devinci, but it seems like it would be castrating it putting on slicks and fenders and the like. Maybe the next new bike will be something for the road with disc brakes, tires that are commonly sold with studs in that size, flat bars and aluminum frame. Boo for road salt.

It all depends where I am working come then. I can ride 26" wheels if it Halifax area, but long distances would be nicer on something fast and light.

My touring rig is a 26" and I did 100k on it this summer. To be honest , I didn’t find a huge difference between that and a 700. YMMV.

HMMMmmmnnnn… Maybe a 26" bike might be order. Depends on the price. And where I end up working. I’m not going to park a nice bike outside all day. If it’s indoors, well, here comes Mr. nice bike.
I’ve been checking out some cheaper studded road tires. I usually keep up with traffic in the city and in Dartmouth, so I don’t know what a 26er will be like. And I find 700C bikes are usually pretty snappy in general. Like a sprinty peppy road machine, rather than a mtb with slicks type arrangement. Time to start test riding.

HMMMmmmnnnn… Maybe a 26" bike might be order. Depends on the price. And where I end up working. I’m not going to park a nice bike outside all day. If it’s indoors, well, here comes Mr. nice bike.
I’ve been checking out some cheaper studded road tires. I usually keep up with traffic in the city and in Dartmouth, so I don’t know what a 26er will be like. And I find 700C bikes are usually pretty snappy in general. Like a sprinty peppy road machine, rather than a mtb with slicks type arrangement. Time to start test riding.

Rode the mtn. bike on some pavement today. Only thing really limiting me was lack of a big ring. Rode out to meet the missus at work and was still about the same time. And ZERO apprehension about potholes and the like. Well, my winter bike is a 26" fendered rig, so we’ll see how it goes. I think it will be fine. I have studded tires for it already as well. I’ll just take the other bike on the warm wet days. But, my next road bike will be a 26er with BIG gears. And little ones. :slight_smile:

You could get a 29er and ride it with slicks :slight_smile: Plenty of air volume there hehe… Checkout the Schwalbe Big Apple.