Cyclists' Access Revoked to Parts of The Kingdom Trails - Pinkbike

This may be a repost, but nonetheless, here is an interesting link for a trail system that many have visited.

A victim of their own success. Land owners probably got tired of the bike and car traffic all over their roads. Especially ā€˜city folkā€™ traffic.

2 Likes

Good quote:
ā€œWhat the more seasoned riders understand is that the real measure of a good rider isnā€™t how fast you go or how much air you get; rather, itā€™s how you carry yourself on the trail.ā€œ

Itā€™s great that weā€™re having success around hrm with more sanctioned trails, but we need to be respectful of all trail users - we could easily have our privileges revoked as well.

4 Likes

in Los Altos Hills, California, after complaints about reckless riders, the city finally banned mountain bikes from one of its parks after reviewing rider speeds on Strava.

(cough)noStrava(cough)

2 Likes

Perfect example of how strava can ruin good things. I can see why Itā€™s great for your own personal stuff, and surely it does have its usesā€¦ but blasting certain things online is never good. That comes down more so to the fault of the user however. I say If itā€™s sanctioned for mtb let your strava flag fly, but one should always consider the repercussions of too much attention being spotlighted on trails.

2 Likes

One can make their rides private on strava. I do like strava for the stats available and the ability to compare performance on specific trails. I also like to compare with previous years.

I do see the downside of technology and strava though. My road rides rarely leave from my house according to strava and certain rides are private for sure.

2 Likes

Making rides private on unsanctioned trails is a start but you are still blowing up trails if you donā€™t go to your privacy controls in the settings and uncheck ā€œInclude your activities in Metro and Heatmapā€

5 Likes

Ah cool. I had Heatmap turned off, but missed the ā€œpromote my activities to my followers.ā€ Probably not a big deal as my default privacy is that rides are visible to me only, but good to know in case I ever decide to actually use Strava.

1 Like

regardless of your other privacy settings allowing strava to use your data contributes to the global heat map which blows up trails.

Right. My Strava wasnā€™t contributing to the heatmap, but was ā€œpromotingā€ whatever non-visible rides to my followers.

Hereā€™s why I use Strava: the software for my watch has an option to auto-populate Strava. Strava has an option to auto-populate TrailForks. So I keep Strava private and invisible and use it as a means to update TrailForks without manual intervention. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If only the people who used to get their balls in a vice over a dinky local trail guide could see the future. Lolz.

10 Likes

Speaking of which, I ran across my old copy not too long agoā€¦ circa 2006-ish I think? Fun to look at and see some trails that donā€™t really exist any more I donā€™t think.

2 Likes

Nice, I have some from 1993 and 1994 (and some later ones) I canā€™t believe what passed for trails back then, some were borderline gravel grinder terretory.

1 Like

That made me LOL. :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s the 15th anniversary edition from 2010ā€¦Halifax MTB Trails Guide.pdf. I think the first one I had was 1996.

5 Likes
1 Like