Does anyone use a “garmin instinct rugged” watch to track rides?

Im strongly considering pulling the trigger on one of these. I have never had a smartwatch before but need a watch so i figure why not get one i can use for riding too.

Does anyone use one of these things? Can i pair it or upload rides to strava? Can i pair it with my iphone? Answer calls on it?

Just mainly looking to see if anyone has had an experience with these. Not trying to break the bank or anything.

Would also be curious to see if anyone has something similar they would like to sell?

Thanks for any info.

1 Like

I use the Forrunner 35.

Garmins app pairs to strava so at end of ride it uploads.

I can change music answer calls and give likes to certain messages

1 Like

I had one for two years and upgraded to a Fenix. I miss the Instinct fairly regularly. It does all you need. Is light and comfy. Highly recommend.

1 Like

Ordered. Thanks guys!

2 Likes

This is my third year using the Instinct. It’s light, convenient, and had an intergrated heart rate monitor. i hardly ever use my Garmin Edge anymore, the watch is just to convenient. Mine auto uploads to Strava via the Garmin Connect app. One thing I did notice with mine is the elevation data is usually off, not a huge deal though.

2 Likes

So how do timed segments work on the watches? Like if my ride uploads to strava from the watch will it count in the segments and tell me my time once it uploads?

1 Like

Yes. I think you can get live segments on some of the edge devices but what you described is how both of my watches have worked.

1 Like

Yes, once the ride uploads Strava will auto detect the segments. The Instinct isn’t live segment compatible though.

1 Like

Thanks! Thats no problem! Not to worried about live segments. Cant wait for it to get here :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Ive been using a Garmin Instict (Tactical) for awhile now and love it. Garmin doesnt know how to make things very user friendly so theres a learning curve to their devices. However i am looking forward to uograding to the solar version.

1 Like

There is an understatement. The Edge 520 and Fenix are absolutely the worst and hardest devices I’ve had to use. The GPSMap Series is not soo bad, but you have to take the time to simplify them by removing “pages”.

1 Like

I personally find Garmins very programmable to tailor to individual requirements.

My number 1 issue with Garmin is the 1 year warranty, way to short for a product close to a grand.

2 Likes

Agreed. My trusty Foretrex 401 that I carried in my old job has been through a lot of shit.

Precisely. I had used a 64S through my gour years with search and rescue snd really hated it. Better fu ctuinality from my phone although that should never be relied on. I like the watch because it allows tracking eithout the stupid device haha I just ma ipulate on my phone as needed.