Drink the 29er Kool-aid!

Just sayin’. Mind keeps getting blown.

I know someone who doesn’t know that they are getting one…

is it me?

Wish it was me.

I tend to agree Aaron. My big cheesy grin gets even bigger every time I ride mine.
My inner 12 year old is having a blast!

Some day you should try a full suspension 29er Aaron, another level of kool aid all together.

No, but you deserve one.

[quote=“TURPLE”]I tend to agree Aaron. My big cheesy grin gets even bigger every time I ride mine.
My inner 12 year old is having a blast![/quote]

Pinkbike had a sick vid with the Satori in it.

Already gonna start a savings plan for a Giant Reign X 29er 0. Yup. It’s awesome.

[quote=“Rally_Kia”]

[quote=“TURPLE”]I tend to agree Aaron. My big cheesy grin gets even bigger every time I ride mine.
My inner 12 year old is having a blast![/quote]

Pinkbike had a sick vid with the Satori in it.[/quote]

pinkbike.com/news/Van-Life-r … -2013.html

Hope she likes this. Pretty decent upgrade from the Arete 2 she’s been rocking since we met.

giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bik … 356/58315/

A bit better fork that I can keep working as well as it can, decent entry hydros for the price, wagon wheels, actually the same wheelset as my XTC 29er 1, X5 with X7 rear derailleur. Probably fine for her, but I still have all my SLX 10 speed kit and brand new Deore 10 spd drivetrain. Not superlight, but pretty darned good for her, as well as better than her current scoot. I can always move my parts over to her if I upgrade my bike as well.

It’s not a race machine, but it will probably boost her confidence, as well as the fun factor.

Have a look at this guy handling a 29ER…

http://vimeo.com/64589170

[quote=“gtrguy”]Have a look at this guy handling a 29ER…

http://vimeo.com/64589170[/quote]

Nice Riding!

Last night as spider I really started to get more agressive. Standing up a lot, wrenching the bars back and forth and popping the wheel up and setting it down where i need it versus just plowing over eveything. I gotta say, they’re as nimble as you need it. I’m even thinking when I do get a full suspension, I could live quite well with a 29er of the right geo… but I’ll have to see a 650b too. But screw 26ers :slight_smile:

That’s bold, I’ll have to try a 29er.
I’d have to break all my 26 bikes and parts before even thinking of a new bike, that’ll be at least another decade.

Bignose, 650b is the same as a 26" with 2.4" tires. I’ve had even bigger. Not worth it, IMHO. A trail 29er with dual suspension would be SICK. Just “testing” them out after I build them, they feel like they would slay everything you throw at them. Sicktitude.

I have my doubts about a 26 + 2.4 inch tires being the same as a 650b. (Cause they have tires too :slight_smile:

Also, I’d make sweet sweet love to this bike : specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/ … rfsrcomp29

26" wheel with 2.4" tire (61-559) is 559mm + 2 * 61mm = 681mm

650B wheel is 584mm, so to equal the 26er size that would give a tire size of (681 - 584) / 2 = 48.5mm (1.91"). While my quick search of the Internet showed narrower touring tires and wider MTB tires, I couldn’t see any 1.9" tires. Having said that, there are definitely 50-584 tires (2.0") available, which would mean a difference in the diameter of only 3mm or so. Doubtless this is what Aaron meant.

On the other hand, your point is well taken in that one might reasonably question if other considerations might apply in tire selection, such as the type(s) of terrain over the course. Considering you would probably run higher PSI in a 2.0" tire than a 2.4" also makes me wonder about suspension travel front/rear; so the comparison isn’t straightforward. I suspect Aaron was referring to the supposed ability of bigger wheels to roll over terrain better, in which case the tire diameter (rather than width) is the most important factor according to the true believers I have encountered. Perhaps he meant he couldn’t detect any improvement in this regard comparing a 2.0 and 2.4 tire on a 26" wheel.

As has been mentioned numerous times, ultimately any wheel size selection will be a tradeoff between various factors (ability to roll over terrain, weight for a given durability, angular inertia, access to standard components, etc).

I love when a nerd replies ! :slight_smile: