E-Bike Rebates

Very valid point… if their training for downhill and they don’t have a shuttle they will get probably 2-3x as many runs in a day by not wasting energy and time on climbs

@Lawrence posted a very well thought out and written piece on EMTBs somewhere on here which included the policy of McIntosh Run Singletrack Trails. I’m sorry I can’t seem to find it. Maybe a Mod can help?

3 Likes

Since bicycles have to follow the Motor Vehicle Act and act as if they are a car when on the roads, I’d prefer to see the $5000 electric vehicle rebate (aimed at cars) applicable to bikes since bicycles are vehicles in that sense. THEN you’d see a lot more people switching to e-bikes.

I’m still in the non-motorized MTB camp and will be for a long time, but I would give serious thought to commuting via e-bike to save effort and arrive at work less sweaty. (Note: currently not commuting at all, and hoping never to have to return to an office; but that’s another topic. :wink: )

3 Likes

@Coaster2 the e-bike thread is here:

E-mtbs in MWRA trails?

Thanks @Coaster2 :wink:

I think this EMTB/trail question is a bit of tangent to the topic at hand. Clearly the rebate is aimed at getting people out of cars and onto ebikes – which I’m all for!

Regarding McIntosh Run singletrack: Both HRM and the province are in the process of developing broad policies regarding e-bikes on nonmotorized natural-tread trails on their land (in other words, EMTBs on singletrack). At least, that’s my understanding.

MRWA did recommend to HRM and DLF that they adopt the same approach recommended by IMBA and already in place in both B.C. and Washington state (in different guises):

• EMTBs are considered a separate category of user, between bikes and motorized users.
  • EMTBs may be permitted or restricted from a particular nonmotorized singletrack system on a case-by-case basis. Factors might include whatever is relevant, but the obvious ones are directional vs bidirectional trails, the existing mix and density of other trail users, any particular environmental considerations or whatever else matters.

The above approach gives the needed flexibility, I think. There are likely plenty of nonmotorized trail systems where EMTBs can coexist fine with existing nonmotorized users. There are other trail systems where the interjection of an extra ~500W of power (doubling to quadrupling typical human aerobic power) might not be appropriate, might not match the policies of all land owners, etc.

Lastly… I advise any EMTBers who are seeking sanctioned trails to develop a trail association, or work with existing trail associations. In the past few months MRWA’s been contacted by several trail goups (Cole Harbor) for example, who have an interest in developing singletrack. Get in on the ground floor.

5 Likes

I’d dig a bit deeper into the data in that study, and look at the quantitative results rather than the misleading summary.

The principle result was that, with the same riders and trail loop, the EMTB gave:

• average speed increased nearly ~50% (8.8 mph to 13mph)
  • average heart rate dropped from 155bpm to 145bpm

The authors’ conclusion that ‘effort’ was similar is based on a simplistic model that considers any heart rate between 128bpm and 155bpm as the same ‘zone’. It’s difficult to imagine any serious exercise physiologist would look at that with a straight face… Personally, I’ve finished XCO races with 155bpm average. 145bpm, on the other hand, is like an energetic commute.

Edit to add: The above is barely related to the ebike rebate topic - I just get triggered by crappy science. I’m all for ebike commuting and would love to get one of those amazing e utility bikes in particular.

6 Likes

My experience is I just go faster and harder and sweat just as much the few times I’ve gotten to use an E-Bike.

1 Like

While I’d like to see a greater rebate too, keep in mind, a car can carry 4-8 people, a bike can only carry one.

1 Like

You lack imagination! :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:

Point taken, of course, but if cyclists are going to be classed as vehicles and expected to follow vehicle rules, then why shouldn’t it qualify for vehicle rebate? Hell, even a non-motorized bike should get a rebate IMO. As has been said by others: fewer cars, more cyclists… all good things. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve regularly hauled two kids on the back of a cargo bike, or my significant other on date nights! :sweat_smile:I’d also wager that the majority of passenger car commuters are riding solo…

3 Likes

Have you seen, or heard tell of any studies that show increased risk in trail systems, due to speed?

Of course, I’ve seen Dutch women in Amsterdam with four kids hanging onto a single bike, so what the hell do I know? :joy:

2 Likes

Fair enough. I don’t own, nor have I ever used a HRM, so I have zero idea about exertion at different heart rates, but it seemed plausible. I know that there are other studies being done about eBike that will hopefully be more rigorous and stand up to that level of scrutiny.

I will say this—I’ve seen at least one eBike in MRWA every time I ride there. They didn’t seem any more out of control than anyone else. With the sight lines available in much of the system, it would seem to be an ideal playground for eBikes. I think you’re going to have to put more serious consideration into this issue as they become a larger user group.

2 Likes

I’ve had the chance to mess around on ebikes a few times. You can for sure get a really good workout.You can push just as hard as you do on a normal bike, but you typically don’t. What Lawrence said is bang on, you are going faster, with less HR, typically. On rail to trails for example, I could sit on the top speed of assist at 30kph, EASILY, with a pretty low HR, if you want to go faster, you will be working really hard to do so.
On single track, these things are really fast. there are sections of MR that is kinda sketchy now with speeds and oncoming traffic (flat lake decent!), so I’d be a bit wary of allowing them in that type of environment with so many walkers, bikes, etc.
They are hilariously fun though, I can see them as a great training tool, you can ride long distances off road in Z2 and have a lot more fun than dodging cars trying to kill you.

4 Likes