ECMTB Weekly Ride - POSTPONED to Wednesday

Normal trails are pretty wet. Let’s grind out some hills at McDonald Sports Park.

Where: McDonald Sports Park.
When: 7pm
Difficulty: Beginner, with heart healthy climbs.

Notes: requires lights

• Going, see you there!
  • Wish I could, maybe next time.
  • Maybe, I’ll let you know.

0 voters

If you plan to attend, please indicate that you are going above and ensure your profile has the Member Name and Emergency Contact fields filled in.

It is every rider’s responsibility to know their own abilities, make smart decisions and ride safely. As a community ride we will ensure you are not left behind and as a group we know we are safer when we have others with us.

Please pay attention to the trail difficulty posted above.

2 Likes

What kind of lights are you guys rocking?

I’m using a 1000 lumen now but anything 300 or more is probably plenty at the sports park. I might even have a older spare I could lend.

I was using a 500 for the longest time.

1 Like

I’ll have the ECMTB jerseys with me, for anyone that hasn’t picked theirs up yet.

2 Likes

I use an older Light and Motion ARC HID light on my helmet. Low setting is 550 lumens, high setting 675 lumens. I run it low most of the time, and there’s not much difference visually between the two settings. Light and Motion makes good quality lights, but they’re a bit more expensive. The light is pretty “floody”, with a bright spot.

@CyclingGirl runs a Light and Motion Stella 500 (500 lumen) LED on her helmet. My perception is that it has a more uniform beam pattern, and is a tighter beam.

Light and Motion no longer make the ARC or the Stella. Their current equivalent is the Imjin, which is an 800-lumen light.

I also have a 500-lumen Planet Bike LED light that I run on my bar as a spare in case the battery on my helmet light runs out. It’s plenty bright, and tighter beam than my L&M ARC. The light pattern is not as uniform as the L&M. Some darker and brighter spots in the beam. It was about $60 when I bought it. The updated version from MEC is 650 lumens and listed for $75:

The LED lights with the integrated battery seem to be popular. All of the local bike shops will have an equivalent.

We are postponing this until Wednesday. Actively raining.

1 Like

Good call. Pretty wet out there now.

It’s pretty nice in the Valley.

1 Like

What a day today!

Just checking to see if the ride is a go for Wednesday night

Yes, it is.

I had full intentions of attending tonight as I want to get back into riding now that school is done, but had no luck locating a light. Open to suggestion for products that are decent/wont break the bank. I guess a better question is, what would be the minimum lumens I should look for?

Lumens are deceptive as mfrs vary with specs. Cheep chinese lights are spec’d high. Mine is 1200 Lumens for example where some people are going with 600L lights that seem just as bright.

The cheap lights have battery issues more than lighting issues. The Cree XML T6? is the standard in all them last time I checked.

1 Like

I can’t believe I’m home early enough, remembered to eat in the day and it’s not pouring with rain

Look out for the quiet Brit, I won’t bite

2 Likes

@TravisA, I’ll bring a light. We don’t need much these days maybe it will hold.

@JeffV Thank you! I will be there

1 Like

Enjoyed that - I’ll make more effort to get out again!

3 Likes

Generally 300 lumens is the minimum generally recommended. 500 lumen lights aren’t that expensive these days, though. $50-$70 range, unless you go with the cheap chinese lights that a lot of the guys mail order - they’re about $30, but don’t let them charge without checking on them.

1 Like

That was a fun one. Always great to see some new faces.

I have a trio of LeZyne 800XL lights that can mount to helmet or handlebar. I ideally use two only, could easily part with one. DM if you’re interested.