Enduro fork advice

I think I’m going to part ways with the Fox 34 CTD that came stock on my enduro. Would like something as or maybe a bit more beefy with better mid stoke support. The fox dives to much. Suggestions? I’m considering the X Fusion Slant. Online chatter sounds promising and I like the Velvet I have now.

Looking for 160 maybe 170mm travel, 15 or 20 mm axle. Would prefer a proper compression adjust over a low speed blow off for pedalling.

Thoughts?

Rather than replace the fork you might want to check this out:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=155214

It appears you can update the internals on the 2013 CTD forks to the 2014 spec and improve the mid-stroke of the fork.

Can you tell us dorks more about what mid stroke means and why its good?

My understanding (and I’m no expert!) is that the upgraded internals firm up the middle section of the travel (versus the extremes of the first little bit and the last bit) so less brake dive when you apply the brakes. Apparently makes the whole Climb/Trail/Descend system work better.

From what I can gather from user comments the 2013 CTD system is not very well liked and Fox was motivated to improve it.

Check this out:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/FOX-34-TALAS-FLOAT-X-FIRST-IMPRESSIONS.html

First part of the article talks about the difference between the 2013 and 2014 (and 2012) forks.

[quote=“gtrguy”]Rather than replace the fork you might want to check this out:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=155214

It appears you can update the internals on the 2013 CTD forks to the 2014 spec and improve the mid-stroke of the fork.[/quote]

No dice. Looked in to that already. Mine is the lower end O/E fork that has a non upgradable cartridge. I however could drop a new dampener in the Fox. I’m looking in to that option as well depending on price I may go that way.

check out the rockshox revelation rct3 i got one on my 29, never was a fan of the rs field but quite impressed with this one.

X2
I was never a fan of RS either (aside from the Boxxer) and was leary when they were spec’d on my new ride but have been very impressed with the Rev so far

Also loving my RS.

On a smaller bike I’d give that some thought but it’s just not enough fork for the Enduro. I need more travel an would prefer larger stanchions. The new Pike looks good thou… Might have to inquire on pricing.

I’ve been looking at the Marzocchi 55CR as well. Pricing is good, looks great with the black and gold and has a proper compression adjuster.

So right now I’m leaning towards either the X Fusion Slant or The Marzocchi 55CR. Their around the same price for me. Looks like the 55 only comes in straight 1 1/8 steerer tubes not sure if i should care. Maybe thats a good thing? It’ll fit on all my bikes that way. Is there really any noticeable difference in going to the taper? The 55 has 35mm tubes and a 20mm axle rather then my fox’s 34mm tubes and 15mm axle. So it might still be stiffer.

While I agree that the revelation is probably too small for you application, based on my positive experience with mine (150mm World Cup on a Cannondale Jekyll). I’d suggest looking into the new Pike. RS is up to good stuff these days. I’ve put mine through its paces, including a few days of lift access gravity riding.

The new pike’s look really good, don’t imagine they’ll be cheap though, first year they’re bringing them back and there is quite a bit of hype.

Just curious, where are you looking at buying from? I’m in the market for a new fork (120mm travel, 15mm axle) and am wondering where I should look for the best pricing.

I’m pleased with my RS revelation. I’m interested in trying an X-fusion though, they look interesting and are good getting good reviews.

[quote=“ceebs6”]The new pike’s look really good, don’t imagine they’ll be cheap though, first year they’re bringing them back and there is quite a bit of hype.

Just curious, where are you looking at buying from? I’m in the market for a new fork (120mm travel, 15mm axle) and am wondering where I should look for the best pricing.[/quote]

I’m not much of a online buyer, I’m looking to buy local from Valley Stove & Cycle and support small business. However if I end up going with the X Fusion I would grab one direct from their Canadian distributor Renegade Cycle Solutions (r-c-s.ca) as VSAC doesn’t deal with them.

I have a marz 55 with 20mm axle in my garage that I dont use. its a few years old, but if you wanted it for a week or so to get a feel for them you are more than welcome to try it out