Enduro or Stumpy Evo?

Either way, they’re both fine bikes. Can’t see you going wrong. And if it doesn’t suit you, flip it and get the other one next year :slight_smile:

Bringing this back from the dead. Bike has been ordered and should be here any day now. I’m excited to give this one a try!

Photos to follow :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing the new rig.

Which did you pick, or do we have to wait for pics?

Oh I guess I can tell you. Went with the Enduro!

http://www.moorescycles.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/9/3/93E6-42_END_Comp_Gloss-Red-Blk.jpg

I’m looking at picking up a new bike in the spring and I am torn between getting a StumpJumper FSR Evo or a new Enduro. Some people I’ve talked to think I should grab the enduro as I ride my bike hard and others suggest the Stumpy because it will be a better “XC” bike.

I have a 2012 Demo 8 for big hucks and downhill stuff so I have that end of the spectrum covered.

Rider background: Been riding since the late 90’s. Race DH. Will enter the odd XC race, with no intent on going fast. Like to huck. Pretty strong. Hate front deruillers. Don’t mind climbing. Enjoy tech riding. Not in to lycra. Flat pedals for life!

Thoughts?

pinkbike.com/news/The-Argume … -2012.html

This was just up yesterday. I prefer shorter travel to keep it real and fun on more trail possibilities.

enduro no question, not even close. everything you list above says enduro. i know you could ride either bike to their limit and beyond but which one is more apapt to withstand the treatment it will recieve. i would think that the more relaxed riding postion would be more formiliar/comfortable as well.

This was just up yesterday. I prefer shorter travel to keep it real and fun on more trail possibilities.

Already have a single speed hardtail, trail slaying machine.

Besides I don’t 100% side with what was said in that article. Skill is skill. Riding a smaller bike helps to inform you of your mistakes but won’t necessarily keep you from making them again in the future.

…or no travel. :wink:

I ride an '07 Stumpjumer, and CG rides an '05 Enduro, but of course those are quite different bikes than the 2013 models you’re considering.

First thing is to define the kind of riding you’re wanting to do - sounds like you’re looking for a do-it-all bike - going from XC racing to hucking is a tall order. You’ve got the Demo for the extreme stuff, so you might lean toward the XC side of things, so maybe even a Stumpy non-Evo. The non Evo still has 140 mm travel, so it’s still a pretty capable bike. Knowing you’re riding style though, I suspect you may have a hard time resisting the temptation to huck off tall buildings in a single bound.

There’s not a huge amount of difference between the Enduro and the Stumpy Evo. The Enduro has a little more travel, probably slightly heavier. The Enduro’s frame might be a bit stronger, with the X-wing design. Almost the same head angles, so the geometry is close. The Enduro’s fork is a Fox Float 15mm through-axle, while the Stumpy Evo’s fork is a RS Revelation 20mm through-axle. The Stumpy’s fork might be stiffer.

MBAction really liked the Stumpy Evo as an all-rounder:
mbaction.com/Main/News/Bike_ … _4947.aspx

They found the Enduro leaned more to the downhill side of things, but did that really well:
mbaction.com/Main/News/Bike_ … _4975.aspx
…but that was an Enduro with a RS Lyrik fork, while the 2013 runs a Fox Float 34.

I test rode a 2012 Enduro, but didn’t have a chance to ride a new Stumpy. I did ride a Camber 29’er, and found the Enduro to be livelier.

It’s a tough call - both look like great bikes.

I’d say the Enduro based on your riding and your history with bikes. If you were to say you were going to vye for the XC title I’d say otherwise.

Well, the Stumpy Evo isn’t really an XC bike at all. Its definately more on the trail to all mountain range. Enduro is just a bit stronger. Honestly, I think you’d really have to ride em both they are so close in range. I’d be hard pressed to decide between t hose 2 models as well. I think the Enduro has a coil spring no? Would make it better of course for heavier duty of down hills all day long. But here in NS, that is a very limited selection of trails. The “average” trial around here is “trail” raiting, not even all mountain. I’d go with EVO personally I think.

Well, the Stumpy Evo isn’t really an XC bike at all. Its definately more on the trail to all mountain range. Enduro is just a bit stronger. Honestly, I think you’d really have to ride em both they are so close in range. I’d be hard pressed to decide between t hose 2 models as well. I think the Enduro has a coil spring no? Would make it better of course for heavier duty of down hills all day long. But here in NS, that is a very limited selection of trails. The “average” trial around here is “trail” raiting, not even all mountain. I’d go with EVO personally I think.

Bignose, the 05 Enduro I ride does not have a coil spring but perhaps the 2013 does.

As per RH’s recommendation that the Enduro is good for downhill riding … that’s why I ride it! Ha Ha!!

Some enduros have coil shocks but most run air. I honeslty prefer
coil shocks, they typically preform better for how I use my bikes,
thou with a minior weight gain. The enduro I’m looking at does
however run a air shock (165mm rear). You can get them still with
coils (Enduro EVO - 180mm travel) but that bike is getting too
close in travel to my Demo 8.

Still on the fence but leaning towards the Enduro.

If you get the Enduro, do some enduro!!! PLEASE!!!