Bowater Fat Bikepacking Overnighter aka: Survival of the Fattest, aka: Fat Wreck, aka Fat and Furious Bowater Drifts

Fat Bike Overnighter

Intent: The plan is to conduct a sub-24 hour (S24O) bikepacking trip near Scout Island utilizing fat bikes. This will be a self-supported trip where each camper will be responsible for their own food and shelter.

SoM: We will depart the Train Station Bike & Bean by 2:00 PM on Saturday February 13th, in order to arrive at the campsite in the western crown lands by 4:00 PM. This will give us approximately two hours of daylight to set up camp. There will be a cache of firewood located near the camp. The terrain at the campsite is a wooded area near Sandy Lake. There is a clearing in which to set up shelters and have a campfire. The following morning we’ll collapse the campsite and proceed back to the Bike & Bean on the same route.

Service and Support: Each camper will be responsible for their own food and shelter. Temperatures are forecasted to remain around-10 overnight, isobutane fuel canisters should be fine and a three season tent with a winter sleeping bag will likely be sufficient.

Route: The route is a mix of rail trails and logging roads. It is currently snow covered and packed. The campsite is approxmately 8km from the Bike & Bean.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2795419375332578810

Emergency Info: In case of emergency our location is in the vicinity of: Marker 4, 1254 Pipeline Rd, Black Point, NS B0J 1B0 20T MQ 2773 5595 The entrance to the campsite is marked with a #4 Pipeline Trail rd. sign. It will be marked with a green chem-lite after sunset. I will be carrying a small first-aid kit on my bike.

What- Sub 24 Hour bikepacking trip.
Where: IVO Marker 4 1254 Pipeline Rd, Black Point, NS B0J 1B0 20T MQ 2773 5595
When: 13-14 February 2021

Key Timings: Depart Bike and Bean NLT 1400
ETA Campsite: 1600
Depart Campsite: NLT 0900
ETA Bike and Bean: 1000

10 Likes

That sounds awesome!

Need to make this so grueling that only half the riders survive and Global makes a made-for-tv movie of the week about it!!

12 Likes

I’ll start by editing the thread title to something more clickbaity. Is clickbaity a word?

2 Likes

Survival Of The Fattest

7 Likes

Fat Wreck

3 Likes

Fat and Furious: Bowater Drifts

6 Likes

Did that ride Thursday night in the rain, feel like you could go deeper, they are actively logging a few kms down the trail presently.
Sounds fun!

Thats what I was thinking. I’ll keep an eye on the road conditions, if they are still logging it will be packed in well.

1 Like

Got a soundtrack lined up already!

3 Likes

I’d come for a over-nighter just for a chance to sit around drinking listening to 90s punk!

I had this compilation, remember how good it felt to buy a CD and listen to it for the first time in the car after getting it!

3 Likes

Deal! I’ll bring the 80s punk.

2 Likes

Better stock up on D cells for that boom box.

1 Like

Fat Bike Overnighter

Intent: The plan is to conduct a sub-24 hour (S24O) bikepacking trip near Scout Island utilizing fat bikes. This will be a self-supported trip where each camper will be responsible for their own food and shelter.

SoM: We will depart the Train Station Bike & Bean by 2:00 PM on Saturday February 13th, in order to arrive at the campsite in the western crown lands by 4:00 PM. This will give us approximately two hours of daylight to set up camp. There will be a cache of firewood located near the camp. The terrain at the campsite is a wooded area near Sandy Lake. There is a clearing in which to set up shelters and have a campfire. The following morning we’ll collapse the campsite and proceed back to the Bike & Bean on the same route.

Service and Support: Each camper will be responsible for their own food and shelter. Temperatures are forecasted to remain around-10 overnight, isobutane fuel canisters should be fine and a three season tent with a winter sleeping bag will likely be sufficient.

Route: The route is a mix of rail trails and logging roads. It is currently snow covered and packed. The campsite is approxmately 8km from the Bike & Bean.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2795419375332578810

Emergency Info: In case of emergency our location is in the vicinity of: Marker 4, 1254 Pipeline Rd, Black Point, NS B0J 1B0 20T MQ 2773 5595 The entrance to the campsite is marked with a #4 Pipeline Trail rd. sign. It will be marked with a green chem-lite after sunset. I will be carrying a small first-aid kit on my bike.

What- Sub 24 Hour bikepacking trip.
Where: IVO Marker 4 1254 Pipeline Rd, Black Point, NS B0J 1B0 20T MQ 2773 5595
When: 13-14 February 2021

Key Timings: Depart Bike and Bean NLT 1400
ETA Campsite: 1600
Depart Campsite: NLT 0900
ETA Bike and Bean: 1000

7 Likes

The date has been updated to February 6th and 7th.

No idea if I can make this but gotta say this is so damn cool!

2 Likes

I wish I had the gear for this kinda thing. Sounds like fun, Craig!

1 Like

I have an extra solo tent if you’ve got a sleeping bag. I’m not sure if my spare rack will for your fatbike though.

Yeah, I’m deficient in pretty much every sense when it comes to bike packing gear. I don’t even have a good sleeping bag.

Perfect, you’re on all night fire picket!

5 Likes