Fatbike tubes

I have 2 fatbike tubes that have slow leaks. I cannot find the leak anywhere…possible value issues ? Suggestions other than buying another tube ? Thinking of going tubeless but not sure I’m ready to try that out. I switch tires each season (studs) but have only 1 set of rims…I’m thinking it would be a pain and a mess to switch back and forth with tubeless…yes ? no ?

Try inflating them and either spray them with soapy water or submerge them in water and watch for bubbles to locate your leak.

2 Likes

Thx man, tried that…no bubbles

1 Like

It could be the valve cores. I traced a leak back to a bad valve core last summer.

1 Like

Blow them up more. Hole could be small enough that its imperceptible at low pressure but activates with more pressure/stress.

2 Likes

Just don’t go too far. I swear the exploding fatbike tube in my garage made me fully deaf in the left ear for several hours.

3 Likes

If they’re shraeder valves it would be easy enough to add some slime sealant- just in case you thought your fat bike didn’t have enough rotating weight :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I added Tubeless sealant to one of mine, you need a Presta valve removal tool. and a little bit of vinyl hose, or something to get the liquid in the tube.
My issue went away with this, not sure if it was the valve or the tube. but worked all last season for me no issue.

2 Likes

Do it. It can be a mess, yeah, but can also be really worth the hassle. I decided on a second wheel set for summer to make life easier, definitely prefer tubeless.

1 Like