Garrett MacLeod Update

From BNS:

Nova Scotia. He was a member of the 2005 and 2009 Canada Games teams representing the province, and for the past few years has been completing his studies at Dalhousie while training to compete nationally and internationally with the BC-based H&R BLOCK cycling team. Below is an update from Garrett as of February 12th.

This year, having my engineering degree completed, I have headed out to begin the season much earlier than usual with some quality training in a warmer environment. I flew to Vancouver for a few days at the end of January before driving down in the team H&R BLOCK van to sunny California. We are staying in the Santa Cruz area where the riding is really incredible and the weather has been nothing to complain about. In the week since we arrived there was one day with a bit of rain but other then that it has been blue bird skies and temperatures hitting around 15w—which is apparently cold for this time of year here; no wonder this place gets people so fast!

I have been able to get in some really good quality training already, and am really excited for the season ahead. I have some high expectations for the season, with the primary goal being to sign a pro contract for 2014 to continue my bike racing career and chase down some bigger dreams in the sport.

We are now pretty settled in to the full time training life here; there is a great Saturday group ride which—although not as fun as the WBL—was a great ride last week. I am already feeling more natural on the bike, as I’m back on my race machine and able to ride whenever, not having the weather dictate training as it often does at home. I am starting the race season off in just a few weeks here, which is quite a change from my past preparation. The Wolfville-Roubaix, my usual season opener, is still 2 months away but I think these early season races will set me up well for the big races to come this season.

Best of luck to all at home, and especially the young Canada Games crew! I’ll update periodically with my results and experiences.

Cheers,

Garrett