Giant Halifax

Yeah imma gonna trust a google review as much as I trust GD yelp. Ha ha GD internets.

1 Like

I canā€™t speak to this current issue, But I worked for Barry for over a decade and Iā€™m sure there was more to the conversation than this news article let on.

But all of the social justice warriors who may have never been into the store or may not even own a bike that are now giving Giant Halifax 1 star reviews on google to try and hurt the shop is ridiculous. The fact that this is what society has turned into makes me fear for the future.

14 Likes

@a.mart can probably speak to this from a retailer and a rider perspective better than most of us.

1 Like

Iā€™m also heavy and at one point was damn near the max limit of what my bike was rated for, but we wonā€™t talk about those days of too many cheeseburgers.

Iā€™ve know Barry for damn near 20 years now and I can guarantee that there was no fat shaming involved and that it was about the safety aspect. As in any issue hindsight is 20/20, but I am no longer an employee so I have no idea what went down, but I am sure there is more to the story as there usually is.

The internet needs to leave Barry and Giant alone and I hope the dude is able to get on a bike and have a blast and then realize commuting is great for fitness and the planet but MTBā€™s are where itā€™s at and that he needs to get on one of these fun machines!!

8 Likes

Maybe there is the lesson of the whole thing:
Mountain Bikes Only!!!

2 Likes

I cant roll my eyes hard enough at this articleā€¦

2 Likes

Handled poorly all around. Bike shop does have to watch their back, but maybe the cycling industry needs to realize lots of 6 foot plus riders hold weight and start building robust bikes, Iā€™d buy one. , I was powerlifting and biking at the same time at 297 and 6 foot 5. Iā€™d have taken my refund walked into Hub Cycle and walked out with a smile and a bike. Been there done that, and I starting out crossed the 300 pound mark, and was always treated as a serious customer, no talk of waivers. Mind you I got a proper hard tail till my weight went down.

But weight is a sensitive topic, how much mental illness is routed around body weight and vice versa. Making fun of this man for that is counter productive, if you truly want to see the sport help people advance, become healthier and enjoy the sport we love. Iā€™m not saying the media bashing is right, or we should give giant Halifax a 1 star based on this and this alone. Iā€™m just saying have a least a sliver of understanding that this man was probably excited to get out, to get healthy and get a new passion, and that would sting no matter what, certainly where he is obviously trying to change that weight. 5 years ago I was 355, my doctor told me I wouldnā€™t see 35 if I didnā€™t do something so I did, and in doing that I found this amazing community of people who love bikes, are pretty rad and always supportive, I think this man should be applauded for making changes to get where he wanted to get, but the media picking this up nationally seems a bit crazy.

9 Likes

So I was hungry and ordered something to eat from McDonalds. A Big Mac, a cheeseburger, large fries and a super size coke. I paid for it in advance through Uber Eats and waited patiently until it showed up. After 30 minutes the door bell rang and I rushed to the door. When I opened it the driver looked at me and said that I couldnā€™t have the food I paid for in advance because I weigh 300 pounds and if I eat McDā€™s I run the risk of diabetes or having a heart attack. He offered me a refund in a few weeks and left with my food. I yelled to him that I was willing to take the risk and sign a waiver relieving McDonalds of any liability but he wasnā€™t having any part of that conversation

We would all say that scenario is wrong. I donā€™t see how this is any different because we are talking about a bike. This dude should have been allowed to walk out of the store with his bought and paid for bike.

3 Likes

The squeaky wheel gets the grease :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Yay! Happy ending!

1 Like

If itā€™s listed in the owners manual, and they made him aware of it, then their ass is covered. What he chooses to do with it is his own business. Letā€™s not kid ourselves here, there is a fairly large margin of error built into the design of anything with a weight limit, to take into account that it is human nature to push the limits. As someone who has ridden a Giant trance offroad for 8 years at one point being 315lbs, and currently sitting at 260lbs, being slightly over a weight limit is no cause for concern on a bicycle. My 1/2 ton truck has a rated payload capacity of 1280lbs. Iā€™ve regularly hauled an even ton of sand in the bed, nearly doubling what itā€™s rated for, with no negative effects. The shop should have made him aware of it, and continued on with the sale. My .02.

3 Likes

Iā€™m confused. What does this say?

Like buying a bicycle and planning to cycle commute? Again, Iā€™m confused.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still confused. Are adults not allowed to feel emotions? Are weā€™re not allowed to be upset over mistreatment (perceived or actual) and process those emotions?

I donā€™t know you, but will ask you: how is mocking this man for having emotions helping his mental health?

4 Likes

7 Likes