GoPro etc. Discussion thread

I’m also using a 3 and a very old hero. That video i very steady for a 3, which gimbal did you buy? Probably a better option than upgrading my camera.

Gimbal stability is much more useful. I just got the Zhiyun Rider-M. I have not used it much. Got it a month ago, but then had to move to a new city so just stating to play with it.

1 Like

I got the feiyu tech 3 axis used-120bucks at amazon.ca, works fine but couple times the wiring inside motor gets disconnected when hitting the handlebars. Now i had it glued, works really mint.
I do had to buy the gopro5 adapter which costs me another 10bucks. It does what it says but i found out really bulky hassle hard to find correct biking posture when hitting fight trail boulders, anyways it does its job.

FYT 3axis Gimbal + gopro4

apology for the 311music.lol

Also there’s a new disruptor tech for gp’s and gimbals still on its Beta stage.
Can’t wait and saving for this

2 Likes

What is a disruptor tech?

He’s talking about the Rylo 360. It can stabilize your footage in software after. It’s the size of a gopro and you don’t need a gimbal. It’s pretty good. Audio is not great and I still find the video is kinda lacking compared to gopros on a gimbal. But the 360 cameras are going to become very popular I imagine.

Gopro makes their own 360 camera too but it’s massive compared to the Rylo.

1 Like

That gimbal footage looks pretty good.

One tip from the GMBN guys is to mount the camera upside down on the chesty. That’s supposed to help get the right camera angle (assuming you’re not using a gimbal).

1 Like

sick edits, bros

1 Like

@landandwater Disrupts the sales and technology “trying too” and yes Thanks @JonMacD explains how is it more powerful than gopro without gimbal interms of tech but still very young at stage.

I use a GoPro hero 5, chest mount. The Rylo gets much better footage in my opinion, unless you have a gimbal. Having used a gimbal, yes it gets great forward but I found it heavy and awkward to use. If the Rylo comes out with a version that records in more than 1080p, I’d switch.

Thanks. I thought it was the name of a specific product.

The GMBN guys suggested 1080P/60 under good light conditions and 1080P/30 under low light.

I’ve got most of the popular trails from Hillsborough on my YouTube channel now. All with a gimbal and a Hero 3. I’m going to epoxy the mount in place so it does not flop down. I’ve been using it down, and against my chest so it has nowhere to flop, but doing that is putting part of the gimbal in the shot. My epoxy is going to fix that. no way to see what the GoPro sees until it is home on the computer.

2 Likes

First time using timelapse. Used 30s between shots. Way too long. Our approx. two-hour work session was reduced to 6s. Still, I do like it. Nice to have a record of the event.

2 Likes

I’ve had great success with SJCAM, specifically the M20.
Sjcamcanada.com
I have the Contour camera and the Cycliq Fly6 and Fly12.

M20, is Much less expensive than the GoPro. Battery lasts about 1.5 hours and I have 4 batteries.

Resurrecting this old thread. Because… I just got a real GoPro for Christmas. Saw reviews of the GoPro 8 and its image stabilization capabilities - getting close to gimbal quality without a gimbal, so I asked for one for Christmas, and Mrs. Claus got it for me. :smiley:

I’ve had it out for three rides so far, and really only beginning to see its capabilities. One limitation which I knew about before getting it is that the lens is not replaceable. On old GoPros, if you crack a lens, you can just unscrew it and replace it. Not so on the Hero 8 - if you break the lens you need to replace the camera. For some this is a dealbreaker. Although I read that the new lens is stronger glass than the old ones, and you can buy lens protectors or put the camera into a case. GoPro does offer a GoPro plus insurance service - for about $5.00 a month they will replace a broken camera for free.

The stabilization is impressive. I first powered on the camera on a drive on the highway while @CyclingGirl was driving. I turned the stabilization on and shook the camera violently while pointing it down the highway. The distance footage was very stable, while the car dash moved around a lot.

However, of the three rides I’ve done with the camera so far, the first was a night ride, and I shot 1080/30 with stabilization on high, but not on Boost. Footage looked quite shaky. What I’ve discovered is that apparently stabilization doesn’t work that well under low light conditions, and the cameras software actually automatically dials down stabilization under low light to prevent image artifacts.

The second ride was a daylight to evening ride, shot in a few different modes - 1440p/60, 1080p/60, and 1080p/30. I think I forgot to set boost mode as well. The 1440p/60 footage looked pretty good on the iphone and iPad, but my desktop computer has trouble playing it - it gets choppy every few seconds. The 1080/30 evening footage looked pretty shaky.

After doing a little research, I set 1080p/60 with stabilization on boost and used the helmet mount for last Tuesday’s group ride, and the footage is pretty stable. I’m going to see if I can edit down the footage before I post it.

2 Likes

I think I’ve determined that I prefer chest mount for solo rides, and helmet mount for group rides so I can follow other riders through turns. I just bought a seat rail mount which I’m looking forward to trying so that I can shoot other riders from the front on group rides, rather than looking at their backsides for the whole ride.

2 Likes

Image stabilization test on Gopro Hero 8. Shaking camera violently while passenger driving on the highway. Running 1080p/60, stabilization in Boost mode:

1 Like

Clip from Group ride at Shubie. Shot at 1080p/60, stabilization in Boost mode. No gimbal. You can see how well the stabilization works by how much the headlight bounces around in the bottom of the frame.

1 Like

If you ever want to be in the shot, I can take the camera and follow or lead you depending on the shot you want.

1 Like

A dude I follow on Instagram, Mark Matthews, has posted several times about sharing his tips for GoPro videos. Have to join Bublup or some such thing, which I tried but couldn’t figure out and quickly gave up. Maybe someone with more patience than me can figure it out, though, and learn something? I don’t think he’s using the Hero 8 yet, but I’m sure whatever tips are applicable to the new one, too. :slight_smile:

From my experience: the chest mount needs to be tight to prevent bouncing, otherwise the stabilization is having to work overtime. I really like the Hero 7 stabilization, excited to see what the Hero 8 offers. Congrats on the new toy, Eric!