Help me plan my staycation!

Hey Gang, looking to do a mtb focused trip around Nova Scotia for a week this summer with the family. We have kids on 20 and 24 inch mtbs that have the ability to climb Keppoch and ride out west pine to pizza corner and back when motivated.
Thinking of hitting up railyard, gorge, keppoch, resevoir, Irishman’s and wherever else you might recommend. We’ll likely ride at least in the am, then bugger off to do whatever local attractions that public health allows(although I might get the chance to keep riding on my own!!)
Hoping to sponge as much information you guys can provide, as detailed as you want! Ideal trails to hit, how to flow around trail systems, places to stay, swimming, places to eat, local attractions, places to avoid,etc
Thanks!
P.s. I’d love to get the same info re: NB and PEI as well in case some provincial bubbling happens!!

3 Likes

This is pretty much our vacation plan too.

1 Like

If you go to Kentville I would suggest doing the bird sanctuary a lot flatter and less rooted than the gorge but no reason you couldn’t do both and bottle rocket as well.
If you can go to pei then it’s all about brookvale best spot for you and your young ones

3 Likes

The Mountain Bike Atlantic website has some trip ideas. By no means complete yet, as it’s still a work in progress, but a great place to start.

@MTBA

4 Likes

River Ridge Common in the morning, MARC in Daysprings in the afternoon, Shipwright Brewery and fish n chips downtown Lunenburg worked great last weekend… (Don’t miss the 32oz take-out cold beer cans!)

7 Likes

Yes! @Remy That’s the kind of info I’m looking for!
Also good call on bird sanctuary @darkmyth . I’ve only been there once in the dark while following on a group ride with @riderx . Not sure if it’s the bird sanctuary loop people ride or if there’s more trails in there ? Is there a better way to flow for smaller legs/wheels? Clockwise vs counter clockwise? Any other kentville insider info?

How about you Truro folks? Any eating reccomendos?
Also curious as to riding fitz with kids…

In Truro the Nook&Cranny is a popular spot with the MTB crowd for eats, and is attached to Salty Dog Brewing.

3 Likes

Any recommendations for decent coffee and/or breakfast places for any of the above locations?
Also any thoughts on Anima Mundi with kids (Assuming I can find it- I couldn’t last time😜)

Anima Mundi isn’t what I would classify as “kid friendly” it’s fun, rolling and rooty but could be a bit much on the rooty side depending on the kids…Wolfville Reservoir Park is probably the better choice for taking the kids to in that area.

2 Likes

Cool, thx

Jimolly’s bakery cafe for breakfast/coffee if you’re in Truro.

4 Likes

Smith Rock chalets are nice and the Fitzpatrick mountain trails are a blast.

Uncle Leos for beer is near by.

Also lots of nice beaches and warm water.

1 Like

We stayed at Smith Rock last year, awesome out of the way spot.

2 Likes

This is all great stuff guys! Thanks!
Anyone know of any Mexican food places? Or at least good spots for patio margaritas and/or breakfast burritos?

Came across some random journal notes I made of our family MTB trip last summer:

Day 1. -Truro
Awesome day at railyard! Enjoyed some flowy greens with the fam (what? Mtb trails can have no roots or rocks!?) adjusting expectations that there will be no multihour suffer fests this week. Laying the foundation for the kids to hopefully look forward to trips like this for years to come.The kids had a blast taking their mom to the skills park then telling her when they felt she was ready to tackle real trails😜. Found some mid ride raspberries.

A post ride dip in the pool was much needed. Willow Bend Motel was great.

Picked up some Callus Moto gloves in Town, then hit up the Patio at the Nook&Cranny for some Margaritas and Tacos.Watched the sunset from the chairs outside our motel with a drink in hand. Life is Good.

Family favourite trails: satisfaction, parent trap, pandemonium, stacked, skills park, reservoir loop.

Day 2- Truro to Scotsburn

Hit some more Trails in the Am in Railyard then off to Fitz. Finally found the wall ride on double stacked.

Arrived at Smith Rock chalets. Kids immediately hit the pool. I went on a solo recon ride for a couple of laps up and down. Looks like it’ll be a family shuttle day tomorrow…

Pizza night in our cabin followed by stories by the firepit with a cider.

Day 3

Scotsburn to valley

Shuttle day. Overcast skies and drizzle.Drove to bottom with bike and rode back up. Wife won’t let me get her a new mtb so she’s been using an older v-braked hardtail.

She wanted to do primary shuttle duty, and only ride down once, so I convinced her to switch bikes and ride my full suspension dropper hydraulic disc bike. It was a predictable game changer for her!

Kids were excited to take mom on a blue downhill trail.

Few more shuttle runs then to debs hidden cafe for ice cream.

Family favourite trails: kilt, freerider.

Day 4,5 Valley to Antigonish

Dropped kids off with the grandparents for a couple days of grownup time-headed to grand pre

Spent two nights in Grand Pre sans kids. Relaxed patio dinners, and morning coffees. Watching the sunset with a bottle of local wine.Biking to various wineries doing tastings.

Spent one morning exploring Wolfville reservoir park-what a gem! Expectations were low for some reason but I was pleasantly surprised, enjoyed the skills park with the green/blue/black ratings. Will definitely bring the kids here sometime.

Pick up the kids from Grandparents and head to Antigonish

Day 6 keppoch to Liscombe

Loading the bikes on the hitch rack and notice one of the upright supports that hold the frames is cracked through at the base (those folks in Yakima Washington make a great product, but not sure they know about roadsalt…). Strap two bikes to the next two bikes with a working support and Gingerly drive to Keppoch.

The wife and kids are signed up for Trail Flow clinics. I use my free time to rig up a repair for the rack. Scrounged up wood and multiple wraps of duct tape later and its surprisingly solid. Managed a few laps up and down.

Headed to the SnowQueen in Antigonish after for go-karts and ice cream, then off to Liscombe lodge-hit the pool and played some Giant chess.

Family favourite trails-East of Awesome, pump track, beaver ridge

Drove home and discovered on unloading the bikes that the second upright post on the rack had cracked as well-glad it happened at the end of the trip. All in all a great trip, the kids are looking forward to a similar trip next summer if public health restrictions allow. My wife has been bitten by the mtb bug and finally bought a modern bike of her own to hit the trails!

8 Likes