Help! Ruined my crankset, need some advice

I find it hard to believe you could have put them on the wrong side, it wouldn’t be very easy to do

1 Like

Might have crossthreaded them.

Helicoils work in a pinch but they aren’t permanent/reliable with the rocks we bang into around here. Cyclesmith used to stock them and do insertions for those who asked. Maybe it isn’t a thing anymore . Lots of truvativ hussefelts got them because the threads were actually winding out of them new.

1 Like

God Hussefelts were awful.

2 Likes

Uploading: 125FF6DE-5DFB-496F-8C1B-EE7BFD8CBD65.jpeg…
The pedal is steel, the crank is aluminum. Pedal is still in perfect shape, if I retapped the crank I would need a different set of pedals with a bigger thread. I haven’t removed the left side pedal to see what shape the threads are in so I’m not sure. If I installed them on the proper side, I don’t see how it would’ve loosened off. They were put on quite snug

pic of pedal?

Helicoils have a large enough outside diameter to fill most stripped cranks. You don’t retap the pedal, you thread a new one in and loctite it in place.

Don’t have one, but the pedal is still in perfect condition.

i have a helicoil on my rear brake mount on the shinobi working great for several months now, thats a pretty big hole in comparison and goes straight through so no bottom out but i cant see why it wouldn’t work if installed correctly as your tapping a larger thread and threading the coil onto it (loctite the hell out of the coil)

Ahh, that is not what I got from the original posts, I would say the helicoil suggestion is the only possilbe fix for that aside of welding in more material and re-tapping it, both of those options unless you can do it yourself will probably cost as much or more then new cranks.

I did a quick google search and these guys have SX in stock (165mm though) SRAM SX Eagle Crankset - Sweet Pete's Bike Shop Toronto

Bottom Brackets are not really that much money, I would assume shops in the city would have other crank options if you swap out the BB

Appreciate the help! I found a 170mm in cali and used express shipping. Should be here in about 5 days as long as there’s no delays!

1 Like

did you get them? all fixed?

Yes I did! Everything showed up last Wednesday, and I borrowed a crank puller from a buddy. Had it all back together later that night. Appreciate the quick help and suggestions from everyone.

3 Likes

awesome