Hillsborough to ban racing for a year

Trail day went great, got lots done, dispite the not so good weather.

Here’s the Times and Transcript article.

HILLSBOROUGH - Village council agreed at their meeting this week to a one-year moratorium on mountain bike racing on the village trails.

Councillor Grant Woodward initially proposed a two-year ban, citing the damage done to the trails last fall.

Woodward is council’s representative on the village trails committee, and said he’s heard many complaints from recreational users about the state the trails have been left in by race organizers.

Other councillors, however, noted that the races, which have taken place twice a year in Hillsborough for the past several years, bring people and business into the village.

Councillor Danny Jonah said a two-year ban might be counter-productive. ‘I think if you ban it, you won’t get them back again,’ said Jonah.

Jonah suggested the one-year moratorium as a compromise, in order to give council a chance to consider what policies and guidelines need to be put in place to regulate the trails.

The trail system runs through some 600 acres of woodland that was taken over by the village several years ago. Some trails are reserved for non-motorized recreation, and are maintained by volunteers with some assistance from the village.

Last year’s races, held on trails saturated with rain, left some sections in bad condition, and race organizers did little to remedy them.

Ouch.
That’s really bad news. I had always heard great things about the Hilsborough course. Guess I wont be checking it out this year.
Not to pass any judgement or start any fights, but it seems like the race organisers need a swift kick.

You have me confused. The race organiser raced? The same peeps didn’t organise all the events?

Okay. I understand now.
I firmly believe that the race organiser should fix the huge wrong they did! Also, Velo NB should penalize them somehow for causing a black eye to the sport.
Just my two cents.

Race organizers should have to deal with trail damage in one of two ways: either by repairing the trail to its former state, as judged by the Commissaire who approved the course in the first place, or by paying a fee to the governing body which is then used to fund the repair of any damage that occurs. Its seems outrageous that organizers aren’t held accountable for damage incurred because of an event they put on. There needs to be more accountability.

Those wacky XCers!

Riding is still allowed from what I’ve heard, just not races.

Yeah, I had heard that riding was still allowed.
I think the discussion here now is about punishment and restitution.
We plan on hosting the Fitz of Fury, and as part of the plan for the race, we have set days to do a full review of the course and fix any damage that may have occured as a result of race traffic.
It really is too bad the guilty party in Hillsborough didn’t care enough about the land owners or other trail users to do the same.
It may be too late for these folks to redeem themselves personally but I think they could mend a few fences if they took out an ad in the local paper appologizing for their wrong doing as a start. Then donate some funds to fixing the damage, or even better organize a trail day and fix the entire thing.
I have no idea who the organisers were, but I hope they don’t own a business in the area because this type of PR can’t be good for sales.

‘the race organizers that caused the problem was for the xc races.’

Does that really matter… the damage is done

seriously there is enough us against them from other groups do we rerally need that in cycling as well

As an update there has been some positive developments come out of
this, check it outhttp://resource.pedaltrout.com/old_site_images/c676407db519bdf42481870746f097d8.gif

http://hillsboroughmba.blogspot.com

That’s awesome! This seems like the year of trail advocacy.

good to see something productive come out of a bad situation.

best of luck to HMBA and if you post up your trail work days I’d be willing to pop up and lend a hand and do some local riding as well if I can get some time off ork ot make it a nice trip

good to see something productive come out of a bad
situation.

best of luck to HMBA and if you post up your trail work days I’d
be willing to pop up and lend a hand and do some local riding as
well if I can get some time off ork ot make it a nice trip

Looking forward to riding with you again. Anytime you have a
chance to come up let me know and we’ll get out for a ride.

Trail maintenance day set for Sunday April 18, weather permitting. Meeting at trailhead for 10 am…BBQ to follow and possible ride.