Hitch receiver installation recommendation

Depending on the car some of them just bolt on. All the ones I have installed just needed basic hand tools. But if they are only 260 installed its prob not worth the hassle doing it yourself

Oddly enough, I just had to put my money where my mouth was. I put this hitch on my Forester yesterday evening. ~2.5hrs start to finish, solo. A messy job because of the oily sludge created by WD-40+undercoat. Not an unpleasant task…but maybe not for everyone.

5 Likes

Damn, thanks for the reminder. I have to get one put on our car sooner than later.

Anyone know of any pros/cons of a 2" receiver VS 1 1/4?

2 inch less floppy bike rack, can actually pull things.

11/4 cheaper.

Install do it yourself it takes less than an hour and 8 beer.

Good to know. Thanks. Our truck has a 2" so it makes sense to keep them both the same I imagine.

1 Like

Pretty sure it also depends what class hitch the vehicle can handle too

1 Like

For cycling applications specifically, the 2" vs. 1-1/4" issue mostly relates to how many bikes you can carry. I had an impossible time finding any 1-1/4" rack that would carry more than 2 bikes (occasionally, there are some vaoprware racks that claim to carry 3).

I believe 2" is Class 3 and above. If you are not towing and only putting bikes on it, that really wont matter as long as the hitch fits.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had a friend who offered to help me install it, but I had a deadline, and it’s a little cold to work on a car. Plus, I’m lazy, so I was happy to pay someone to do it for me.

I ended up going with Uhaul. It looked to be the cheapest option, but there was a hiccup. My deadline was about 2 weeks out. I told them make/model/year of my car and they didn’t have the right part, so they had to order it. I had an appointment a few days before my deadline. I dropped my car off, had someone pick me up and go out for lunch. Then uhaul called and said they ordered the wrong part. Then they ordered the right part, and told me they’d call in a few days, and give me a discount. They ended up giving me an appointment the day after I needed it. They had quoted me a price (around 270 I think) plus taxes. I ended up paying that price including taxes, so it was a bit of a discount. Everyone I talked to was very nice and understanding… but whoever ordered the wrong part really put a damper on the whole experience.

Still, cheaper than the other places, if that’s your priority. Better yet, have a friend help you install it, which I should have done sooner!

1 Like

Atta be. Just ordered one from parts Canada for my Crosstrek. 147 shipped with hardware ups around 230 and 300 installed.

I like working on cars so I suppose that makes a difference.

I had a similar experience with U-Haul in Dartmouth. I booked an appointment. On my way to the appointment uhaul called and said the appointment did not exist and the call centre made a mistake, so I was rebooked. When I arrived at my rebooked appointment U-Haul did not have the part. So I was rebooked again.

To their credit they reduced the cost from $240 to $100. This was in 2019.

No complaints.

I hear many U-Haul nightmares and have had my own. Waiting months to get a hitch. A couple times I called and they said they had it but sold it because they apparently called and emailed me to tell me it was in, but nobody did. This occurred twice. I’ve always had much better service at Work and Play, Performance Auto and Action.