How and when did you start mountain biking?

Thank you for the kind words. I think the original sub heading was ‘… 350 to 3500 bucks on a bike’ I’d have to change that to “750 to 8500” in a new version, I guess. Despite inflation I think it would still be 5 bucks (too cheap not to get).

5 Likes

Now now, I paid 300 for my first one, mind you the onlything original is the frame.

Thanks again for your contribution, @tossedsalad! Your book and involvement with the MTB community made a difference for this biker and many others!

6 Likes

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just signed on today and found it pertinent because I’d just left a post about it on GMBN. I just moved to Pictou from Vancouver Island back in May. I had to sell my other bikes due to storage concerns as we were on the road for about a year. Two weeks ago I picked up a Trek Farley 5 and have put about it 300kms on it so far…I’m loving it because it is almost a return to my roots in MTB…here’s my story…

Back in ‘82 I walked into my LBS for parts for my Apollo Gran Tour. In the rack by the door we’re a couple of new bikes with wide knobby tires. I asked the owner what they were, he told me they were something new called a mountain bike, supposed to be able to ride off road on them. Moments later I was riding up and down stairs at the park across the street turning all the BMXer kid’s heads with this big knobby tired bike. It was a Nishiki Bushwacker in this beautiful graphite grey…I traded in my Gran Tour and never looked back.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum! No worries this thread is totally still open and ready to hear stories! You must ride over at Fitz a bit?! Also dont super nice feel good.

2 Likes

Getting my riding legs back, I’ve ridden to Fitz but haven’t ridden on it yet, that’ll happen this week :slight_smile: Yeah the Super Nice made my day, Martyn was so animated about it :smile:

1 Like

Pictou town or Pictou county? You bay see @chiz traipsing around town on a blue/black trance.

Yeah, as @SQUATCH says… Fitz is a pretty fun trail system in the area.

1 Like

Needs a good whipper snipping. I’m going to call and see if they mind me doing a bit of weed eating and looping up there on the main trails. Hard to ride hard when you have no idea what’s under the grass lol

2 Likes

Pictou town, I’ve seen some decent Norcos on the trail but mostly older folks out for rides. I’ll keep my eye out for that blue Trance and flag him down if I see him :smile:

2 Likes

He loves a good day bike! There is some good stuff out to the windmills. Just be wary of the windmills out to the main road headed to Dalhousie mountain. Hard to see what’s coming the grass is so tall.

1 Like

If you see a big Squatch on a blacked out Norco say Hi. I dont bite and respond well to treats.

1 Like

I am usually up for a Fitz Rip and Darren has Jeff’s old ride for another victim. Now that @JeffV (still Spud for me) broke himself, maybe he needs me to work in that Rocky Mountain with some fast times on the big hill, hmmm?

3 Likes

Lol. Nice try.

I was soo looking forward to riding Fitz with you after PEI too. Grrr.

Maybe september.

1 Like

Any idea who I’d contact about weed eating the trail out back of the windmills. One of the best sections and its hella overgrown.

I’ll keep a lookout for you too…and I’ll keep some cookies with me just in case lol

2 Likes

I remember Slickrock and the racing series that would go on in behind Portland Estates.

2 Likes

This was a fun thread. Anyone else have any tales of yesteryear?

4 Likes
1 Like

Whoa…way back play back…I remember the day you got that

1 Like

I’ll play…Long time ago but started back in around 87 with @bent6543 and I think @TuffRider 's brother. If I recall my firsdt bike was a Norco Bigfoot like this

but I am little fuzzy. I started reading Mt Bike Magazines and it was really watching John Tomac that drew me to it initially. Rode a lot on the Dartmouth side, Spider Lake, what is now Portland Estates, Behind Shearwater, The Single track behind Burnside which is now gone to Dartmouth Crossing. Pretty much every ride was followed by Donair Subs from 29 Min Subs and Pizza. Did some racing in the early '90s with SlickRock Cycles around the Maritimes. Good Times. If I recall I went over the bars on it at Birch Cove in Dartmouth doing a downhill run, bent the fork up 90degrees, bent the handlebar 45degree with my thigh, and cracked the frame. Not sure what I got after that. I do recall buying the first Manitous that ever came out though.

10 Likes