How handlebars are really tested

Saw this today and it reminded me of a carbon bar for sale… This is how bars are “flex tested” properly, and then thrown away, not ever used for biking even if they don’t fail.

All handlebars flex, some more than others and some can take more stress before failure. This one shows a brand new, hand made in Canada, We Are One carbon bar with 225kg on each end, it took 80 cycles like this before it failed. They say this is 3 years of simulated fatigue. Absolutely crazy to watch! Makes me question my 3 year old aluminium Chromag bars now.

2 Likes

Oh snap, that dude trying to sell that pos hbar. A high point on New Ecmtb for sure.

2 Likes

Love the high point. Lol

1 Like

Might be time to upgrade, The Chromag 2020 osx hit 1,000,000 :wink:
“ The OSX 2020 is the next step in our progression. By refining the shape, and utilizing variable butting, high grade alloys and advanced heat treatment techniques, we have increased the fatigue life by over 50%. So much so, that we’ve seen fatigue test results reach over 1 million cycles.”

I’ll be sticking to Fubars for sure. The new 2020 ones do look nice.

FYI The number of cycles is not really relevant without knowing the force and deflection used in the test. In this case they were mostly being ridiculous, more like the Hydraulic Press Channel. Sending it to an unrealistic amount of force just to see what happens.

2 Likes

and it comes in gold now!

1 Like

Haha yeah I didn’t figure 450kg was the norm :laughing:

1 Like

You haven’t seen me bulking to sneak into a clydesdale race then have you? :pig:

1 Like