How Long Has Everyone been Riding?

So lets see who has been doing this the longest

I started riding in 2000 after my Brother was killed in a tragic biking accident. I inherited a bike he built on an old Ritchey frame and stumbled across the trails in Burnside one day, when I was riding to feel closer to him. I was HOOKED INSTANTLY!!! Before that it easily had to be 20 years since the last time I was on a bike.

So this will be my 14th year. I suspect there are many others out there who have been riding a lot longer than me.

Yikes that’s terrible, glad you mades something positive out of it.

I’ve been riding bikes as long as I can remember, but my parents bought me my first mountain bike in…1987 I think but maybe 1988. I had a couple of friends with mountain bikes. The first year we rode a lot in Shubie and the power lines behind what is now Dartmouth Crossing. I think we found trails at Spider lake in 1989-90 and at Shearwater around the same time. I got into racing mountain bikes in 1991 i think.

So I guess that’s 27 years.

24 years. Good times…

Rode a lot around 97 to 98, took serious hiatus till about 2006 ish and have been hooked since.

Bought my first mountain bike around 1984. Didn’t ride much between 1989 when I started University and 2011 other than with my kids. Rode with a friend a few times in the summer of 2012 and got interested again. Bought a proper bike last spring and probably rode more in 2013 than in the previous 20 years combined.

My first bike was a high wheeler in 1871. It was part of my luggage when I took my hot air balloon around the world.

Okay, that’s a lie. I’ve been biking a long time. I remember some great adventures throughout junior high and high school, and I commuted for a few years in university. So I’d have to say it’s been a solid 25 plus years I’ve been riding, not including as a kid. To prove I’ve always been akin to the idea, here’s a pic:

Ghost, we have a lot in common. My story is identical to yours, except I didn’t get a serious bike until the fall of 2013. Now all I want to do is ride. Your username wouldn’t happen to also be the type of bike you ride is it? That’s what I’m riding - a Ghost AMR 2955.

I’ve been riding bikes ever since I could ride bikes at a young age. I got into riding seriously around 1996-1997, raced MTB and road from 1998-2001 and did one race in 2004. I just ride now, both MTB and road, as much as I can.

[quote=“d.rolls”]

Ghost, we have a lot in common. My story is identical to yours, except I didn’t get a serious bike until the fall of 2013. Now all I want to do is ride. Your username wouldn’t happen to also be the type of bike you ride is it? That’s what I’m riding - a Ghost AMR 2955.[/quote]

A lot in common indeed – AMR 2955 for me too!

Ha! That’s too funny. How do you like the bike? I love mine, no complaints.

It’s great. The only issue I’ve had is a broken freehub and I think the replacement is on its way out too. More of a Shimano issue than Ghost though.

I got my first real mountain bike with paper route money when I was 15. I took a little hiatus during undergrad but got back into it during my last year and then used the flexibility of grad school to get LOTS of riding in. So I’ve been riding non department store bikes for 16 years, but like most, I rode through childhood and teenagehood. I didn’t stop riding when I got my license though.

Started riding as a kin and never bothered to stop. Started to think of my self as a biker around 1995 I’d guess.

New member here…

Always considered myself a cyclist…even when I didn’t have a ride. It was the only ‘sport’ I really enjoyed as a kid…I rode my bike just a little further than I was allowed…always. High school, university, college…always had a bike as primary transport. Moving around in the post-school years I got away from riding.

Long story short, got back into it in a big way in 2002, with a Giant Boulder…which was stolen a few years later…then back to being a roadie I’m 2007, which I’ve primarily been ever since. Giant OCR2, Giant Roam2, Giant Defy Comp1 are my current rides…yeah, I’m a Giant guy.

I couldn’t imagine not riding now.

Alan