I've heard of this happening locally

bicycleretailer.com/industry … Zt7RbWsiSo

People are just tired of paying the multi level markups that permeate all consumer products. The LBS is not the problem as they are only trying to make a profit from what they over paid for.

Canadians have been getting ripped off with ‘special price structures’ for our market for years. There is reason why cross border shopping has always been so popular and why people are now taking it to the next level online. A friend of mine buys all his vehicles from a dealership in New Hampshire at a 40% discount from Canadian prices. Canadians are taken as fools by these corporations and there doesn’t seem to be anything we can do… hence the guerrilla shopping warfare.

Sadly, most of us only have so many beans to spend on our hobby and these types of purchases enable us to get something new as opposed to used.

I know LBS have contracts with there suppliers but I think/hope the day is coming where your local shop will break with this traditional model and start direct ordering themselves. The music industry adjusted to this new business model of online access for all, the retail market will have to embrace it eventually.

There is a new tariff (might only be proposed) that would increase the end price on bikes and accessories. The tariff was removed on hockey and other equipment and increased on others i.e. bikes.

Local shops have to make a profit. I do my best to buy local, and I succeed the vast majority of the time. I pay more in the long run, but the service I receive is excellent. I agree the shops are not always to blame. I don’t know of any shop owners driving a new benz every year or similar luxury items. They need to pay for (quality) employees, rent, and various other overhead. The underlying structure and business model seems to be flawed resulting in the higher prices for the end user.

Local shops have to make a profit, but I want things as cheap as I can so I can buy MORE of them. Its a cycle and I look out for number one. There’s my “local shops” rant.

after all of that i just read… what sticks with me is the last example … chad… sounds like he wants to be a retailer.

here is some more reading for everyone interested bicyclecomplex.blogspot.ca/2013/ … rgins.html

I support locally when I can, mostly for small purchases… pads, cables, tubes, brackets etc. unfortunatly with chain reaction and other various online sites lbs’s cantc compete with the price… and im not paying 70 bucks a tire when I can get the same ones for 25 shipped… just facts of life.

[quote=“vwcabrio82”]after all of that i just read… what sticks with me is the last example … chad… sounds like he wants to be a retailer.

here is some more reading for everyone interested bicyclecomplex.blogspot.ca/2013/ … rgins.html[/quote]

Good points made by all…

Maybe my tinfoil beanie is a bit to snug and I missed something in the two articles… but who’s chad?

[quote=“BornAgainKen”]

[quote=“vwcabrio82”]after all of that i just read… what sticks with me is the last example … chad… sounds like he wants to be a retailer.

here is some more reading for everyone interested bicyclecomplex.blogspot.ca/2013/ … rgins.html[/quote]

Good points made by all…

Maybe my tinfoil beanie is a bit to snug and I missed something in the two articles… but who’s chad?[/quote]

chad was mentioned at the end of the first article, "Besides the wheels he’s eyeing, Chad sees opportunity in the market.

“I think a lot of guys are scared of buying from China. I’d like to order a few dozen frames and sell them. I could mark them up a few hundred dollars and they’d still be cheaper than the big company bikes,”

Thank ya…