Just curious about a 2008 bike

Except it really doesn’t seem to be performing like a supermarket front fork. That thing is doing some serious travel.

This rig http://valleystoveandcycle.com/product/08specialized-enduro-sl-comp-38118-1.htm looks pretty snazzy. Coming in at $2300 after taxes, is it still a deal when compared to what is out there right now “new” ?

I’m all over the place with what is “idea” for the normal Spider/Whopper/Fight/Gore sort of trails we have here in the HRM. If i was to go brand new, I’m looking at 29er with 100mm front/back. But at the same time, this machine looks pretty pimp but thats a lot of travel, and near 32 pounds of weight.

So many choices, just looking for some folks to shoot the shit for “ideas”.

FWIW, i have riden a Spech Pitch on Mount royal at montreal. I do recall it being a lot of suspension, but it wasn’t an absolutly horrible climber. The Pitch and Enduro from what I understand are quite similar.

I’ve always been a fan of Enduros. The 2002-2005 model (which CyclingGirl rides) is my favorite. This model seems to be a 2008. On Valley Stove and Cycle’s website, they’re listing this bike for $1999, which is a deal. A new Enduro would go for about $3000. This Enduro is a little weird in that Specialized decided to try a dual crown fork of their own making for a couple of years. Usually dual crown forks are on downhill bikes. (For 2009, they used the same frame, but switched the fork to a normal Fox single crown fork) I think the front hub is a through-axle version. Advantages to this fork/hub - stiffness and steering control. Disadvantages - no quick release on the fork may make transport a little more difficult, and the dual crown may limit the bike’s ability to do sharp turns. The Pitch is the Enduro’s little brother - a cheaper model for those who can’t afford an Enduro, but designed to do the same things.

if you are thinking about getting a new bike then you own it to yourself to spend some time on a 29er. those things really shine on our trails the bigger wheels role effortlessly over the roots and rocks which are so common around here. with the new models coming out with fullsuspension i would not spend my money on a conventional mtb bike till i at least tried the 29er. those things are game changers if you are a xc kind of rider.

I keep hearing this as well. Was pretty much set on getting a new Giant XTC 29er 2 from work, but I may wait and save for the carbon version. That being said though, almost all the hydro’s being offered stock on bikes seem to suck. And I hear that although they may actually be easier to ride over more things, they may not be as fun to someone brought up on 26" hoops. I personally like the point and shoot, give a squirt and it’s gone, flickability of the smaller wheels. Darkmyth is right, to be fair you really need to spend some time on one. Just remember a nice 29er hardtail is more reliable and cheaper/better spec’d at same price than a 26er dually. And a 29er dually is just rad, anyway you shake it. SPEND TOO MUCH MONEY WITHOUT THINKING! Buy a few bikes! Sell prized possessions! Eat a KD-exclusive diet!!!

PS

Keep in mind that although the Specsh hasn’t been ridden yet in a few years, it also hasn’t been ridden in a few years. Even from new, that sucks for hydro’s and suspension sometimes. I see it a lot. Also source a few spares based on the components to see who has pads/cassettes/bb’s etc in stock that might not be as common nowadays. Sheesh, man. Bikes are soon going to be as bad as computers.

Also, most people for what they ride most of the time could mostly get by quite well on a XC rig. What goes down must come up. Weight = the poop. If you are a regular to-flat hucker, gravity fed much at all, free rider, hack/not smooth type guy, it might be good to be on a big bike. Can I drop off the roof of a moving van with the Concorde? Def not. Would I want to on any bike? Not till they both drop. However, I can climb like a goat and ride all day on it. Translate that a bit further into a full susser XC scoot, and it gets even better. Perfect East Coast bike. It rewards smooth riding and good bike handling skills, without having to be a full-on phenom. And get a more trail-oriented XC bike. A bit slacker, a bit more upright. Which most seem to be, nowadays, unless it’s a full-on race machine.

• computers aren’t nearly as bad as they used to be. Woot.(Even non Macs)

• Yeah, my heart is solidly set on a 100mm FS 29er. I was just looking for some conversation about this rig. The arguments against the dual crown fork, the weight and the sitting aroundness are all solid.

• Part of me considered a rigid for front suspension only 29er, but I really do have my heart set on some rear suspension. Its just time.

• I’m flat broke, so this is all dreaming

Candidates are

• Specialized 29er Camber Comp

• Trek Superfly 100 AL

• Norco Revolver 3

The Spec/Trek come with higher spec components, but the Norco has the tapered steerer tube, better wheels and thru axles. So much to compare. I’m sure they’re all fine bikes.

Another consideration with the '08 Enduro is that the fork is a 25mm non-standard through-axle. You’re stuck with the Specialized hub if you ever want to upgrade the wheels. On the plus side, I’m sure the bike performs well, and strikes the balance between weight and toughness. IMHO, the paint job looks great in person.

No Giant Anthem X 29er? Bummer. Overdrive 2 tapered headset, Aluxx SL frameset, attractive build specs… I may be a little biased. The pivot bearings are all off-the-shelf parts. 5 bucks each at a place in Burnside. I see pivot bearings go on most bikes, not just Giants, in as little as a season sometimes. Another consideration. Cost out owning any bike over time as well. There will be a carbon Advanced SL version next year as well. Keep saving…

The Giant remains on the list as well :slight_smile:

I’ll never get on a carbon mtn bike tho. Just not my thing. Maybe in 10 years

I saw Kona is making a steel and a titanium hardtail 29er. Why can’t I talk Giant into building one! Why I keep rocking my old bike…

There are some (even canadian) companies that make awesome chromoly steel framed bikes…

http://www.xprezo.ca/produits/cross-country/t-4_2012#

Norco is making some cool city bikes with steel. More hipster style. Norco did make a team race version a couple of years ago. Extremely rare.

http://www.norco.com/blog/1112/the-norco-853-resurrected-from-the-past/

Yes, but I can’t really buy a new bike from someplace else without paying more, and taking some flak. I would love a pink Xprezo XC hardtail.

Also, that Norco looks sick. Just not a fan of the BB. It seems most steel rigs are either SS, 29er, or anything and everything at once, a la Surly with waaay too many braze-ons/mounts/tabs. I just want a geared 26" XC bike option. Wait… I am riding it. LOL.

Now one of these is just awesome…

http://www.fatsandbike.com/

not much of a race bike I reckon

Good to see some lower priced fat bike options!

If I could do it all over again, I would have got a Moots YBB when I had the chance. Sweetest XC frame ever. For the 29er fans I see they make the YBB in that wheel size too.

A moots would be great be great. Rally and myself were talking about them the other day.

Test rode a Camber Carbon Expert 29’er and an Enduro Evo at the Specialized Demo Day on Sunday. The location for the demo was awesome, because there was singletrack trail literally 1 minute’s ride away.

The Camber was my first experience on 29" wheels, so I was curious to see how they would feel. I tried to roll over every root and rock to see how they felt. I think it rolled a little easier than the Enduro over the roots, but not by a hugely noticeable amount. Cornering definitely felt a bit sluggish, but I’m sure I’d get used to it.

I have to say the Enduro felt a lot more lively, which is weird because the Enduro ought to be heavier, and it’s got longer travel suspension. I felt like I was scooting up the climbs more spritely on the Enduro. I’m not sure if that was because of the wheels, or the fact that I was warmed up after riding the camber. The Enduro felt really tall, after riding the Camber.

Neither bike was set up ideally for me. The seat post was a little low for me on the Camber and a little tall for me on the Enduro. The Camber’s shock and fork were pressurized for my weight, but we didn’t actually check the sag. I was in a hurry by the time I took the Enduro out, so I didn’t even bother to check the suspension.

Both bikes were equipped with dropper seatposts, which again was a first for me. They took a little getting used to. These posts have three positions. Slammed down, middle, and extended. To get it to the bottom position, you have to sit on the saddle, while flicking the switch, which felt strange. To get to the middle and extended positions, you flick the switch to let the seatpost pop up, but you don’t want to let it pop up by itself, because it rockets up, and may slam your privates, so again that felt weird trying to get low and slowly let the seat raise. It was tricky trying to get the post to work while navigating the trail, so it would take some getting used to. However, there was a really steep descent that once I did get the seat dropped felt really good with the saddle out of the way.