Lighting setups for evening/night rides

Last time I was into Sportwheels they had some Lezyne lights in stock. Not sure on the availability but your local LBS might be able to order in something quicker through their distributors than ordering online, especially if you are looking out of country, customs and international shipping are still hella slow these days.

2 Likes

I went with the same ones Rolls linked: LEZYNE LITE DRIVE 1000XL FRONT LIGHT. I have a couple of their 800XL’s that I’ve been using for a few years, and have been pretty happy with them. One crapped out last year, though, and one had a strap break this year; not bad after four years of use. Like Rolls, I’m also a fan of the self-contained unit without external cables and such.

looking on line, it looks like that comes with a bar mount, did you order a separate helmet mount too?

Nope, but it’s the same style as the lights I already have, for which I already have a helmet mount. I should be good.

I bought this Evolva last fall to use on my bars.
It has a solid clamp, excellent battery life, good brightness and replaceable batteries for when they eventually wear out.
I do find the light pattern a bit narrow compared to some high-end lights but still more than good enough to use on its own. When paired with a helmet light it’s excellent.
It’s gone up by $15 since I bought it, but still a good value at the current price.

1 Like

I have the same light, Nigel. Bought it back when they were charging $40 for it three or four years ago. Quite right, it’s excellent as a bar-mounted second to a good helmet light. Excellent battery life, even after daily use in all weather conditions. I had to add a bit of Gorilla tape to the mount to keep it from rotating side to side, that got loose after a while.

I use mine in flashing mode while commuting daily and it’s VERY vibrant and noticeable. I get a lot of comments from pissed off motorists if I forget to angle it down, but fuck them.

3 Likes

I have one of these. Works great for the price.
[ETpower® 5000 Lumens XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light & 6400mAh Battery Pack & Charger , 4 Modes Waterproof LED Bike Lmap headLight Super Bright Lighting Lamp for Outdoor Sports Like Cmaping Hiking(BLACK) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ITJYE10/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_i.OuFb27TNGYG](ETpower® 5000 Lumens XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light & 6400mAh Battery Pack & Charger , 4 Modes Waterproof LED Bike Lmap headLight Super Bright Lighting Lamp for Outdoor Sports Like Cmaping Hiking(BLACK) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ITJYE10/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_i.OuFb27TNGYG)

2 Likes

Anyone considering buying a light with a separate battery, plan a long shipping time.
These can only be legally shipped by ground.

Thanks for the referral code, just ordered up some lights!

1 Like