Mt Bike Pants

What’s everyone using for colder weather gear? Looking for pants. Nothing really insulated but with good fit, tapered legs, and good range of motion

1 Like

I’ve got insulated leg sleeves for cooler weather but on the cold days I wear my running or XC ski gear. XC pants have a built in wind break on the thighs. On really cold days I’ll wear a regular pair of long johns underneath. That’s what works for me.

I usually just wear a merino wool base layer and my regular riding pants.

I hate riding in pants so when it gets cold I just wear a pair of under armour cold weather tights under my shorts. I don’t ride in ultra cold weather though and will wear just shorts with tall socks until it dips below probably 2 degrees.

1 Like

I also tend to just ride with a merino base layer under my normal gear, but I’ll pull on a tall pair of soccer socks over my regular socks with a grocery bag layered between them for some extra warmth on really cold days. (It’s called fashion, look it up.) The single-use plastic ban is going to make that a bit tougher this year.

5 Likes

I wear regular cycling tights with baggy riding shorts over them. Not very fashionable, but does the trick for me for most XC riding. I wear full shin pads for most of my technical riding, so that adds extra insulation. I’m pretty good down to -10. Below that, rather than baggy shorts, I wear a full nylon pant - MEC rad pants - over the cycling tights for windbreaking.

Several brands make riding pants.
I have a couple of pair of the Fox ones. Their FlexAir pant has 4- way stretch, pockets, and tapered lower legs.
Also have a pair of Ranger Water pants which are ideal for really- you guessed it- wet rides but due to the waterproof material not quite as stretchy- 2 way stretch I believe.
My experience with pants is that riders ultimately wear them far more than they originally planned. I know guys that wear them 12 months a year since they’re also great for keeping ticks off the skin, protection against brush and abrasion, etc.

1 Like

Ordered a couple things in from Sportwheels that I’ve been wearing generally at temps below 10 degrees and have kept me warm while riding at speed down to a windchill of -5.
For that +5 to +10 degree range have been wearing Endura FS260 Thermo bib shorts with garneau leg warmers and Garneau Thermax II shoe warmers and thermal socks.
For +5 down to that -5 windchill night (coldest I’ve been out in so far this season) wore a pair of Garneau Course Elite bib tights, with the same shoe covers and thermal socks.
Sportwheels has a great selection of winter riding kit in right now in stock, like heavy gloves, socks, balaclavas, etc.
My problem area for keeping warm in sub zero temps has turned out to be my hands but I picked up some pogies so will break them out next time its below 0 and see how I make out.
Cold legs are slow legs!

2 Likes

The fox water pant is hands down one the best apparel investment I have made.

Walmart of all places has micro fiber jogging pants which are $25. Tapered legs I like em. Then I have mec drencher pants I wear over em on wet days.

For when it gets cold I bought Columbia omnitech pants for riding the fat bike

I second the use of under armour cold gear tights with a pair of shorts. Bought a three pack of Costco wool socks which are pretty warm and easy on the wallet. This setup got me through a -15 windchill ride without issue.

1 Like

Do you know which model of cold gear?

My wife grabbed me a pair years ago and it was just whatever Sportchek had on the rack at the time. They probably have more options now than they did then.

thanks everyone for the feedback

Last summer my wife and I had an anniversary trip to St John’s, after a particularly windy hike I picked up a pair of “License to Train” pants from Lululemon. I have used them a number of rides since without issue. They are not cheap but about half the price of MTB specific ones. As mentioned above, I’ve pants to be much more versatile than I would have thought.

Thanks, I will check it out