My Unexpected Crash = Trip to Hospital (video footage)

I am not a speed demon. Sure, I like going a little fast at times, but speed is not be be all end all for me. I just enjoy riding. I had a slow speed OTB incident that resulted in a trip to the hospital and me revisiting my safety protocol.

On the plus side . . . I have cool lightening bolt scar over my right eye.

https://fatbikerepublic.blogspot.ca/2017/07/fatbiking-safety-unexpected-crash.html

1 Like

Ouchers!

1 Like

Hope you heal up soon…

Remember, faster averts disaster…

sometimes…

until it doesn’t.

2 Likes

Yes, speed definitely would have been a friend here! Momentum would have carried you over that little bump.
In my case with the broken rib Saturday night, a little less speed perhaps. Fast healing to all!

3 Likes

Yeah we’ve all been there. I allow for two per year. Almost healed from the latest. Nice to hear your bike is fine and you like your scar. That is as as important as anything else.

Getting hurt sucks but if you ain’t crashin’ once in a while you ain’t doin’ it right.

4 Likes

Wow, that was a deep cut >.<

It wasn’t as bad as it could be, glad you pulled out reasonably okay! I did a similar self-review after popping a front tire on a jump landing and getting tossed onto the granite on a solo ride.

For emergency contact and such, something like a Road ID can be useful. I have the online version which stores emergency contact info, allergies, blood types, and many other bits of data useful to medical personnel if you’re unable to speak for yourself. I think they also have a “crash awareness” app like you mentioned, that will notify someone if you’re stopped for a long time, though I suspect there could be many false alarms when out on a group ride! :wink:

1 Like

I’m pretty healed up now and I was only laid up one weekend from riding. I have not gone back to the crash location yet . . . but I’m planning soon. Not avoiding it . . . just so many places to ride and so little time.

4 Likes

Add a seat dropper post to your list. For me it became a safety mode to my bike more than convenience or fancy gadget I don’t get bucked by my seat on a technical descends and it is a big plus.

1 Like

Ha! I was thinking a dropper post might have saved me a couple weekends ago when I crashed and broke a rib at keppoch. However it was just poor technique… speed plus not prepared for a jump/lip I should have tried to manual, back wheel kicked me forward landed front wheel first and (probably) grabbed some front brake for good measure. I’ve found my stupidity/lack of skillz usually trumps whatever technology I have.
Now what to tell the wife: " honey just think if I had a bike with more suspension, dropper post and a lighter front wheel this whole thing probably wouldn’t have happened…"

3 Likes

@Drgonzo, lol, I see that same kind of crash every week on GMBN fails and bails.

1 Like

Ha! Definitely failed n bailed. Sounds like I’ll have to get more creative (and document it) to get internet famous…

1 Like

And don’t forget the cool scar @Drgonzo !

1 Like