Need ride guide(s) - Halifax area

Hey tommyboy, another ride on the 5th sounds great! Just need to double check if we have any plans for that day, would you want to ride in the morning?

Aw, just as I made my mind about bringing the xc bike - lol My 6" is an Enduro SL , it’s a pretty versatile bike and it weighs around 31 pounds so in the end it might be the best one to bring. Or squish a 2nd bike in the car. In the end, I guess it doesn’t really matter, as long as I have something to ride on!

Any of you can suggest a nice intermediate trail for me to take my partner for a ride? She’s pretty new to mountain biking.

Mucho Gracias!

Spider Lake is pretty intermediate, and Gore is pretty good too. Bring her along, we love newbies!

I’m glad that you have decided on the dually. As I was riding along today I was thinking about you and how you should bring a swiss army knife type of bike because if the weather is nice and all of the stars align you never know where you may end up riding.
Good choice.
For sure, bring your partner along to Spider. The more the merrier. Just remind her that newbies always buy the first round here in NS.

Great, I’m sure that if she doesn’t have plans for that day she’ll be happy to join us!

Great, I’m sure that if she doesn’t have plans for that day she’ll be happy to join the fun!

BTW, she’s asking, and I quote; “does the newbie still need to buy rounds if she kicks ass?” hehehe, just talk if you ask me…

If she kicks ass she has to buy us all ice cream as well!!

Depends on whose ass she kicks! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, whether she kicks ass she’ll likely come, as long as you guys don’t mind have a less experimented rider in the group…

Tommyboy, let me know if you would still up for a ride on the Monday?

Cheers!

We welcome everyone regardless of experience.

Great, I’m pretty sure she’ll be in then! What time do you guys normally start riding at? And if someone could send directions to Spider Lake our way, that would be much appreciated. We will be leaving from Prospect…

Looking forward to discover your trails and micro breweries!

Are you guys ok with 10:30 am? We can be flexible, if that’s problematic. Directions from Prospect to Spider Lake… I’ll give it a go but hopefully if I make any mistakes someone will correct me. I’d double check my directions with Google maps just to be certain.

-Follow Prospect Road towards Halifax. Turn right at the end onto Prospect Road onto St. Margaret’s Bay Road and head to the rotary
-Go up Chebucto Road and turn left onto Oxford, right onto North St.
-Follow North St. across the MacDonald Bridge (you’ll need to pay a toll on the Dartmouth side)
-Hang a sharp right off the bridge onto Windmill Road.
-At the end of Windmill turn left onto Alderney Drive and follow through until it turns into Prince Albert Road
-Keep following Prince Albert until it becomes Braemar Drive (you’ll pass a lake on your left, a Superstore on your right and then another lake on your left, then more lakes). Eventually this turns into Waverly Road.
-Keep on going and going until you see Spider Lake Road on your right. Turn on to the road and go to the very end - that’s the trail head. If you cross under an overpass before you hit Spider Lake Road you’ve missed it. It has a habit of sneaking up, it’s wily like that.

We’ll be there in either an orange or silver Matrix with roofracks. I have red hair and a blue Yeti. Troy has no hair and a Haro.

10:30 sounds good, and thanks for the directions! Any idea how long it would take us to get there from Prospect?

We’ll be in a grey Mazda 3 and I’ll be either on a Cannondale Scalpel or a Specialized Enduro SL…

Hey madknob, I am still up to a ride on Monday. From where you are situated it is probably an hours drive. We can meet up in Dartmouth. It is along the way and we can carpool from my place. I will send you a PM with my # on it.
Peace

I didn’t want to contradict Bikergrl gasp but since Tommyboy already did, I think it’s relatively safe to chime in. :wink:

So, my take is this: If you want to have FUN, bring your 6" travel bike. 'nuff said.

Fine then, 6"it is. I guess I’m rockin’ 5 through the trails now, so what’s another inch?

Yeah, I made my mind, 6" it will be - it’s a fun bike and it’s not full of bling bling parts like the other 2 so I don’t mind breaking stuff on it, not that I’m planning on crashing it all over the place but you never know…

Besides, the rigid SS took a beating on sunday and is in desperate need of TLC and a new BB. And the Scalpel is still all new and shiny with stupid (pardon my language) carbon fiber brake levers - they don’t like encounters with rocks… So yeah, the Enduro SL sounds like the perfect candidate for careless, fun rides in your rocky technical trails.

Fine then, 6"it is. I guess I’m rockin’ 5 through the trails now, so what’s another inch?
Indeed. But you know us guys…we always want that extra inch.

Time to leave the Big Smoke - thanks to all of you for your input/suggestions and special thanks to tommyboy for offering to show me some trailage on the 5th and to bikergrl for organizing the July 4 Spider Lake ride - see you there!

What a great ride that was. Thanks all.

Indeed, lotsa fun! Hope you come back and visit us again, Francois!