New Trail Area Potentially!

Woah woah woah! I’m not blaming anyone for anything! I’m not putting BNS down for the fact that it’s been an excellent organizer of racing and athletic development, I’m applauding that. And I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with the fact that BNS has been mainly focused in that area. I understand that a group serves the interests of the people who are involved in it and that if the active BNS members were more interested in advocacy or touring and less interested in racing, the competition end of things would likely suffer instead. Anyway, I don’t even understand why we’re arguing about this. All I really care about at this point is finding some land to build secure trails and beating people over the head with the fact that riding a bike is fun.

Have you guys caught wind of the NS Bikeways Coalition yet? It seems like you could bring this issue up to (and lobby) the province a lot easier if you joined this movement.

Just trowing that out there.

Have you guys caught wind of the NS Bikeways Coalition yet? It seems like you could bring this issue up to (and lobby) the province a lot easier if you joined this movement.

Just trowing that out there.

I’m actually part of this group in that I’ve attended the latest Nova Scotia Bicycle Summit and helped determine the priorities of the NS Bikeways Coalition. Definitely a great group for cycling in general and developing AT items and the Blue Route, etc. Problem is that developing specific items such as trails for mountain bikers wouldn’t be on their agenda (yet) as they are quite busy with other issues (which will indirectly help with securing land for mountain bike trails, maybe, hopefully). Anyhoo, as Sue noted above, groups such as these (i.e. NS Bikeways Coalition and BNS, etc., etc.) are all great and needed, however, we do need to start discussing specific issues around mountain bike trails thus having a group looking soley at this issue will hopefully be helpful.

I’m sure that once this group gets off the ground, it will have the capacity to make a MTB’ing subgroup to push for such infrastructure to be developed along with the Blue routes.

Full disclosure, I have no idea what MTB is like anymore. I like going fast, so I stick primarily to road riding. I don’t think there are many races in existence in NS that are tailored to my type of riding, and the ones that do exist make little to no sense to me (5 stages over 48 hours is a little ridiculous to someone just getting into road racing!).

Totally support what you guys are trying to do though! We all deserve a slice of the cycling infrastructure-pie.