Outside Mag article on missing NS cyclist

I was in spider when he went missing, it was a busy in there, many riders, including the entire Cyclesmith race team and coaches. Nobody saw him. His car was there when I went in and I did every trail, when I was coming out, some folks were going in to look for him. I was pretty sure at the time he wasn’t there.

Next day I was part of one of the early search teams, where they used local riders who knew the trails, there was no trace.

I don’t personally think he was/is in there.

7 Likes

People can do pretty stupid things when they are lost, things that make no sense to people sitting at home.

I once had a guy call me at the shop (map book outs me every time) because he got lost and hid his bike, camelbak, and wallet in the woods and bushwacked off trail until he got back to civilization. Due to this he had no idea where his bike and stuff were and proceeded to describe the trail to me hoping I could find it. That turned out ok for him but it could have gone south real quick. No, this was not at wrandees, I totally could have helped him out in that case.

2 Likes

This is very common. Especially for those with dementia and hypothermia. On top of that, most people we search for don’t want to be found and go into the woods to kill themselves. This guy could have just taken himself and bike so far in that we’ll never find him anytime soon.

1 Like

Yeah, a few years ago a navy guy got lost hunting and decided to swim across a lake (you could see the 102 or whatever on the other side of it. Didn’t end well.

Was on a search for a kid back in the late eighties when I was in the army. At one point we saw him but he was scared and ran into the woods. We recovered his body about a week later (this was peak summer too) It was a little surreal, at one point we crossed an abandoned 1/4mile drag strip. I took a look at it and then realized that I was there back in the late seventies with my dad and uncle watching drag races.

3 Likes

Was this in Sackville?

Yup, both.

1 Like