Please tell me I can get this apart

Just realized that the Sheldon Brown crankset chart is a bit dated, if your crank is newer you should be able to get the BB length info from Shimano here:
http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/blevel.jsp;jsessionid=kpGjRtzTyg7jl1wj2HQTy2d2njJGVlPVyPg70NL9nR7t6sy7HjPK!1105265563?ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181679&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302051829&bmUID=jU3GxoZ

my bb length is 122.5, most of the ones in the list are shorter, the one I am using I think is 116-121 in the chart. I guess that could account for the offset I am seeing. the chain rings all have the same number of teeth. on that chart there are only a couple of crank sets that use 122.5 length of course. I’ll have to see if I can get it adjusted up to 2 usable rings, as I never use the third one.

so this is what I have, original on left, new crank on right, otice the chain position.

It definitely looks farther out, really this is the kind of thing that should be measured with calipers,(see the chainline link in my other post), you should measure the chainline and see if your in the range or not. From what you’ve posted so I really sounds like you need a shorter BB.

On my bikes I keep the chainline as short as possible, because I know I tend to use the bigger cogs on the cassette more than the smaller ones, this keeps the chain straighter in those gears.

I measured my chainlines, with the original it is under 50mm and with the new crank the chainline is about 56mm, so it won’t work, I cleaned up the old one and it seems to run fine right now, we will see how it is once i get it out on the trails.